1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Y6 comprehension skills

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocolateworshipper, Mar 2, 2012.

1. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I find these excellent: http://englishforeveryone.org/Topics/Reading%20Comprehension.htm

2. I have tried many things in the past. This year, I have opened up the whole thing, and have given them the AFs in child speak. They now understand what each AF means...sort of! (We've only been doing it for two weeks) We look at papers, and guess what AF each question is. Sometimes they are right and I am wrong! It makes them very aware of what the question is looking for, and it becomes a competition. We also have been looking at PEE (Point, Evidence, Explanation). I know that doesn't answer your original question, but I think that ploughing through comprehensions, without them knowing how to answer the questions is pointless. Also, many of the comprehensions that I have found, are very simple retrieval type questions, and don't go beyond AF2.