1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Y3 division, Lancashire!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by studentfairy, Aug 7, 2019.

1. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

Hi! Just looking for some teachers' opinions on this.

My school follows the Lancashire LAPS - if you look at the attachment, I've highlighted what it says about Division.

So this repeated subtraction is leading up to the Chunking method, right? Having checked my school's policy for Division, the only method mentioned is Chunking, which supports this.

However, this baffles me because surely we should be teaching a few different methods, and having taught the Bus Stop method to Y4 on a school placement, I think it is a far easier method for children to understand.

I'm trying to imagine the logistics of the chilren counting out 52 cubes on their tables to put into groups of 4, when they could simply do the Bus Stop method by splitting the dividend into tens and units and counting them into 4s like that.

What do we think? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm an NQT and never done this before. :D

Attached Files:

2. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 New commenter

I don’t relish teaching chunking because I feel that it requires that the children are able to deal with a lot of maths in order to use it. With some it needs lots of time to build up that understanding in small steps. However I can also understand why it is used. To just go straight into the bus stop method doesn’t in itself recognise place value. I had children in my year 4 class last year that were so secure in their knowledge of place value and number facts that could estimate the answer very closely and would recognise an error. Similarly, I had some who, even after having used the chunking method as well as other methods, made huge mistakes when doing the bus stop method as they still didn’t make the connection with place value. I do confess to hating teaching it though.

3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I taught my Y3 chunking so that they consolidated their times tables facts. It's easier to think in terms of groups of as that's how they learn division and some won't be secure on their times tables. Some may be able to spot patterns, for example 52 divided by 4... You could partition 52 so that each number is divisible by 4 so 40 and 12. Some will see the pattern.
    You can actually teach division using numicon and it makes it really simple but it is still using concrete resources, have a look on YouTube.
    If you're still unsure then sign up to the ncetm website and see how they teach division.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Year 3 need to do practical division and so on to consolidate understanding of what it means.
    However, I'd not have them counting out 52 cubes each!

Use bead strings, where it is quick to get 52 and split in half and half again.
    Or numicon
    Or tens and ones blocks (diennes?)

Or do lots of times tables work first and then say things like the script below, accompanied by lots of sketching and doodling.
    Ok so 52/4 is the same as how many 4s in 52...right? (hopefully they all say yes!!)
    I know how many 4s are in 40...that's 10...right? (if they don't all say yes, slap the year 2 teacher at break!)
    So I reckon all I have to work out is how many 4s are in the 12 that are left... (some bright spark will call out 3 and everyone will agree)
    Hmmmm so there are 10 fours in forty and 3 fours in twelve, so I think there must be 13 fours in fifty two...
    Find some equipment and show me I'm right. I might not be, it has been known!

Formal written methods for division doesn't come until year 4, so stick with teaching for understanding in year 3.

Lala24, vannie and CarrieV like this.