1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Y1 to give change?!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocochick, Mar 15, 2012.

1. chocochick

chocochick New commenter

Hi guys, I introduced this to my Y1 class today and they found it really diffiucult. I had them writing subtraction sentences but they seemed to have no understanding of why they were subtracting! I am really confused as to how to explain this to them and would love to hear about what has worked well for others in the past. Many Thanks

2. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

I always do change as finding the difference rather than pure subtracting. I normally do a few lessons on difference as counting up from the lower number to the higher number and then apply it to giving change. The reason is because in real life there is usually only a small difference between the cost of an item (e.g. 16p) and the amount paid (e.g. 20p). So it is easier to find the difference between 16 and 20 by counting up from 16 to 20, than it is to subtract 16 from 20 and so this is the mental method that most people would use. Hope that helps.

3. Get some fake (or real!) money, and get them to sell each other things.

4. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

My year 2 class have also really struggled with this! However towards the end of todays lesson most got it when we used numberlines and counted up. They could also then count up on fingers etc. Also wondered what others did, felt that children might get confused with the counting up/on approach as they normally associate that with adding.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would also say that the children need to play shops with money to grasp this. You'll probably find many of them count up automatically.

I demonstrate this as buying something for 16p and giving over 20p. When they don't give me change I play act a huge strop and say they have taken too much money from me and I'm calling the police. Then they usually give me back the whole 20p and off I go. Then the TA role plays being a policewoman who arrests me for stealing. Then a lot of peer talk and discussion about what to do.

They get the idea and repeat similar role plays for a while, then move on to playing giving change.

6. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

I love this idea! It made me smile. I thought that I was the only one 'mad' enough to do things like this. Thank you for cheering me up.[​IMG]

7. Definitely.

I still do this with my Year 8s who are working at much lower levels. Even though we don't have a role play area, I give them laminated pictures of sweets/objects to buy from a shop, with differentiated prices. At first, we use this for just counting out the correct money, and then for finding change from 10p/20p. Give them a purse or bag of change (1p pieces to begin with) and get them to put the price number in their head and count on, putting one coin into their partner's hand/bowl/desk until they get to 10/20.

I used to find that the partner would just go to sleep at this point though and just accept that the change given was correct - so I introduced the idea of checking that they weren't being 'ripped off'' - I would do that when modelling it to the whole class. They quickly saw the application of what they were learning to real life and really enjoyed it. They became much more accurate too.