1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching World History

Discussion in 'History' started by terrygilham, Nov 15, 2018.

1. terrygilham

terrygilham New commenter

Good Afternoon,

I'm an history teacher, based in Myanmar, South-East Asia (just to give a bit of background). What I am wondering is if anyone knows of any good world history coursebooks (preferably British made) that have a much broader perspective than looking at everything British from a British point of view. I have the Pearson's Exploring History textbooks, which are great, but they are tailored very specifically for British students taught in British schools. I'm teaching Burmese children, who've never been anywhere near the UK.

If there is a good series of books that anyone has used or seen, could you please notify me so I can get copies in for next school year.

The help would be massively appreciated as currently I'm struggling to find anything at all!

Thanks

Terry

2. terrygilham

terrygilham New commenter

I should add that I teach years 7, 8, and 9.

3. 10musicalfingers

10musicalfingers New commenter

Hello, Terry! I was searching for information on teaching in Myanmar, and stumbled across your post. For World History, I still fondly remember the text books I grew up with were from Alpha and Omega publishers. Also, I just wanted to ask you if you would recommend Myanmar as a stable place for me to take my family if accepting a job offer there. Curious about air quality and safe environment. Thank you for any suggestions!

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I don't have a textbook suggestion but have you seen the Big History Project? Might be worth checking out. Also, check your inbox - I'm sending you a message.