1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching/ working overseas without a degree

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bananaquirky, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hey I'm wanting to work in education overseas, but am struggling to find out how without having a degree. I've been working in schools for 6 years now, and hold HLTA status.
    Any advice on where to begin? Or which countries to start with???
    I really want to do this, but don't know where to start!
    Thanks!

2. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

Best advice I can give - get a degree in education, get some expeience (no your quasi TA position with HLTA does not count) and then look for work. I know it is the whole delayed gratification thing, but honestly any school willing to hire you as a teacher without at the very least a degree (not to mention appropriate teacher training) is not a place many of us would want to work.
    If you are happy working in a dodgy school, with dodgy managment, in a dodgy country for next to no money then have at it, but honestly even if you do get this inital job you and realize what a proper school overseas should look like you would ahve virtually no chance of progressing to one. I would love to be proven wrong, and if someone can tell me a decent school lets go third/second teir that would hire without a degree please share.
    That is the nicest way I can be negative about your chances.
    MoC

3. Hi there
    Just wondering whether Tangier, Morocco appeals to you!? I know of a new English school who would probably take you on with your experience. What level do you teach and where are you from?
    Jo

4. It's good advice, I was teaching without a degree for a couple of years in the countries that would allow me until I decided to go to university. I started studying education at 26, I'm now 30 and looking forward to a great lifestyle and first-class education for my kids (when I have them).

5. There are lots of schools... They're just sh/t.

6. orangepatriot

orangepatriot New commenter

Agree with the others, get a degree and get trained.
    It rather angers me that people think they can short cut the full training route to be honest regardless of experience. IMHO it's like these celebrities setting up schools with the assumption that anyone can teach. Fair enough you have experience, but why should that expempt you from putting in the same hard work as the rest of us.
    Probably opened up a can of worms here haven't I.

7. I'm angrier than a raped badger right now!

8. Whatever you do, be extremely wary of people trying to recruit you on Internet forums. That's how I got my first job, naive little soul that I was, and I lived to regret it. If a school cannot afford to recruit through proper channel, it's not a school worth working for.