1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching WJEC Media Studies for first time and am totally clueless...help?!?!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Eva_Smith, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Pretty please?
    I've just joined a new school and have to teach this to both year 9 and 10. I am to start with coursework, which is based on sci-fi (which I know nothing about because I dislike the genre instensely) and the essay is apparently on 'War of the Worlds' and how far this adheres to sci-fi conventions.
    I need to do some serious swotting up over the weekend. So I have some questions which I'm hoping someone can help with (thank you so much for help already given by a wonderful poster over on Personal).
    1) Can someone point me in the direction of a mark scheme for the coursework? I have no iea on grade boundaries or criteria
    2) Can anyone advise me on some insider tips for pupils' success i.e. important things that impress examiners etc?
    3) How far DOES War of the Worlds conform to sci-fi conventions? I've never seen it but am trying to get hold of it to watch over the weekend - hate Tom Cruise however!
    4) Can you suggest any other films for comparing/contrasting within the essay?
    5) Where the hell do I start??????????

In case you hadn't noticed....I'm panicking. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Pretty please?
    I've just joined a new school and have to teach this to both year 9 and 10. I am to start with coursework, which is based on sci-fi (which I know nothing about because I dislike the genre instensely) and the essay is apparently on 'War of the Worlds' and how far this adheres to sci-fi conventions.
    I need to do some serious swotting up over the weekend. So I have some questions which I'm hoping someone can help with (thank you so much for help already given by a wonderful poster over on Personal).
    1) Can someone point me in the direction of a mark scheme for the coursework? I have no iea on grade boundaries or criteria
    2) Can anyone advise me on some insider tips for pupils' success i.e. important things that impress examiners etc?
    3) How far DOES War of the Worlds conform to sci-fi conventions? I've never seen it but am trying to get hold of it to watch over the weekend - hate Tom Cruise however!
    4) Can you suggest any other films for comparing/contrasting within the essay?
    5) Where the hell do I start??????????

In case you hadn't noticed....I'm panicking. Any advice greatly appreciated.

3. As always your first port of call should be the specification which you will find on the WJEC website, this will probably also have guidance notes etc. all as documents you can download. The mark scheme should be in the spec or you may need to download it seperately, if these are not on the WJEC website you will be able to access them from the WJEC secure website which I think you have to register for through your school or college (try the exams officer).

Obviously they need to know case studies and content for the exams, but another Big hint for the exam is make sure they are writing in full sentences, using full written English and make sure they check through for spelling mistakes...very important! Also make sure they are using media terminology where ever possible. Print them off a glossary of terms and meanings and set them tests to make sure they are familiar with terms and ensure they understand the importance of using these terms in their answers.

There are plenty of books and revision guides on the internet...try amazon, which should point you in the right direction.

Sorry can't help with the War of the Worlds and sci-fi stuff, but if you start them on the terminology, this should give you chance to look at the spec and get your head round the other stuff.

Good luck and stay calm!

4. As it's all new to you ask your school if you can attend the (really great) two day INSET later in September. It's run by Media Education Wales (see their website for details) and completely supported by the WJEC.

To be honest - for landing you in it if you've never taught it before - the least your management team can do is to send you for some training!

Accurate use of media language, understanding of media codes and conventions and a good knowledge of the topic areas are what the examiners are looking for. Its not an extension of English or an easy option GCSE!

Best of luck!

5. Go to MediaEdu. They will sort you out. I can't believe how many Media Teachers feel overwhelmed and haven't heard of it. They will sort you out. Honest.