1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching with SPD

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Thisisnotme, Jan 24, 2011.

1. - I just don't think I can do it! Has anyone managed it?
    It has come on very suddenly. Today walking was agony... I can't walk around the classroom looking at pupils work, bending down to help them, or turning to write on the board.

I have a physio appointment booked for later in the week, but what do I do in the meantime? Stay off work?

I'm only in my 5th month so it's very early...

2. - I just don't think I can do it! Has anyone managed it?
    It has come on very suddenly. Today walking was agony... I can't walk around the classroom looking at pupils work, bending down to help them, or turning to write on the board.

I have a physio appointment booked for later in the week, but what do I do in the meantime? Stay off work?

I'm only in my 5th month so it's very early...

3. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

I'm so with you on this one. Mine came on last week and although i only have 3 weeks and 4 days left at work (not that I'm counting) am dreading it. Just feels like someone is pressing on my head and crushing my back and pelvis when I walk. I'm not quite sure how i'm gonna cope yet. have had big chairs put in my room and told the kids they need to come to me etc and not the other way round, but it is so hard. most of the moving around and monitoring is just habit nowadays so am gonna have to be really tough on myself. i guess just make sure that the people that you work with know whats going on and that where possible, ask for help! hopefully physio will help, i've not got an appointment yet but have been told that if you find a good one and stick with it your condition will improve..Don't forget you can also take paracetamol to help with the pain, although not really worked for me!

4. You can get girdle-type things that help support the bump which eases the aching a bit. And I couldn't wander round the class much after about 6 months because my pelvis hurt so much so I asked the pupils to come to me - I explained that walking was painful so they were fine about that. Equally, I borrowed a Science stool and perched on it during explanations and writing on the board. If I had a TA in the room, they would (very nicely of them) give out worksheets and books, collect them in etc. I made it to 36 weeks at school, which wasn't bad considering!
    Good luck!

5. I empathise with you. I'm quite fortunate in that I can do a lot of my current job from home. I have SJD (similar to SPD - but in a differernt place and I have it even when not pregnant, though it's not so bad then). It's been bad since week 3 and I've had a walking stick since just after then, and been to physio since week 6.
    SPD started just before week 21 - and I've had to give in to it as I can't cope with that on top of the SJD. I've a certificate from the GP to say I'm only fit to work from home. I feel as though I've been doing more work at home than I do at work though!!! I have to get up and hobble about every half an hour though!
    I have a belt which I wear at home over clothes as I find it too uncomfy underneath. I also have a gym ball which I sit on and do some basic Pilates style exercises.
    Hope all goes well!

6. i was put on crutches at 15 weeks. struggled in until the end of the summer term but couldn't return in september. felt like a failure but there was no way i could teach.
    if you are signed off, legally your school can force start your maternity leave at 36 weeks (even if you asked for your leave to start at 38 weeks) but they CANNOT start it earlier than that. up until 36 weeks you would receive normal contractual sick leave ie 100 days full pay etc. maternity sick does not count in the same way normal sick does either if you're worried about how sick leave would look applying for jobs.

7. There's a fairly recent thread on SPD here:
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/447244/6159479.aspx#6159479
    and some others if you do a search of the pregnancy forum.

I've had it since about half way through my pregnancy and would echo all the things you are saying about day to day life in school. I would really recommend getting in touch with the Pelvic Partnership if you haven't already - their website is helpful and they are very supportive. They also recommend chiropractors/osteopaths/physios who SPD sufferers have been to and told them about - I went down this road as I was getting so much worse so fast that I knew I'd very soon be off work and there was no NHS physio appointment forthcoming - I think at that point if I'd been offered crutches I would have taken them. It has helped a lot - apparently my pelvis was twisted, and from my first chiropractor appointment with some manual treatment it stopped getting worse and mainly stayed about the same. I am now on maternity leave and it has even eased a bit which is more than I hoped for.
    I have now got a serola support belt which helps hold me together while I'm on my feet, but they are recommended for when you have had manual treatment or been checked to ensure you are not twisted or out of place, otherwise they can simply hold your pelvis in the wrong position. As for the belts that actually support the bump and take the weight off I don't know as I havent tried one but may well be worth asking your physio about them and giving it a go.
    Good luck with the physio!
    [​IMG]

8. Thanks for all the replies. Really helpful and I appreciate it!
    I'm going to see if I can borrow some crutches as I really couldn't manage today, and see how physio does. I've now got an exercise ball to sit on and will ask for some exercises to do tomorrow.
    I suppose if I do end up being off then I'll just have to swallow the teacher guilt and work from home as much as possible! So far I've just struggled in...