1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching with MS

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cbmusic88, Oct 11, 2017.

1. cbmusic88

cbmusic88 New commenter

Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with MS and I was wondering if anyone knows another teacher in a similar position? I currently work as a 0.6fte secondary music teacher. I dropped my hours at the beginning of this academic year as last year they had me teaching Music, Music Tech, EPQ and ICT (due to hours being cut in music) and I was finding that I was just wrung out at the end of each week.

I'm SO glad did drop my hours as I don't think my current health situation would have been compatible with full time work. I now currently fix woodwind instruments for the County Music service on my two "days off" and have a prospering repair business which is just fab! I do also use these two days to rest too.

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask for advice. Right now, I'm okay. But this hideous disease is unpredictable and neither I nor the doctors know when my next relapse will be. Last time I lost all feeling down the left side of my body and couldn't walk for a few weeks. The time before I lost sensation in my right arm and hand (the hand still hasn't returned frustratingly) and couldn't raise my arm to write on the white board - this all took place before my diagnosis.

So my question is: When I disclose my MS to my headteacher and my HoD. What on earth do I say to stop them panicking? I know I need to go to them with solutions not problems, for example on a Monday night I run ensembles until 6pm. Recently I've noticed my energy levels fizzle out at 4pm so I'm going to ask for a high backed stool so that I can continue to run the groups (sitting down helps my energy levels). I fully intend to keep teaching for as long as I am able, right now I am able to function normally, but I know this won't always be the case.
    Should I organise an occupational health visit? Does anyone know what this entails? I also know there is something called access to work but I haven't looked into this yet.

Sorry if this all seems a bit rambling. Lots to think about.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm sorry to hear about your condition, and wish you all the best.

But I think you might find it useful to re-post this on 'Workplace Dilemmas' as I think it falls into that category and people there may be able to offer some advice.

cbmusic88 likes this.
  3. cbmusic88

cbmusic88 New commenter

Thanks Frank - good plan! How do I delete this one? I've reposted in the workplace dilemmas topic.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think if you 'report' it and ask for it to be deleted perhaps?

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

May I ask what treatment you have had/been offered?
    My daughter was diagnosed with MS two years ago. She is a student midwife (now in her final year). She has had Lemtrada and is doing fine.
    MS is not a life sentence.....even though it feels like it at the time.
    PM me if you want any more help or advice.....but every MS is different.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  6. cbmusic88

cbmusic88 New commenter

7. marple1

marple1 New commenter

Can the original poster please get in touch (PM me). I have MS, I teach in a secondary school and I am SLT - I would like to chat.