1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching with Chemotherapy

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Davidsusername, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Davidsusername

Davidsusername New commenter

Hi all,

Last month I was diagnosed with cancer and have begun treatment but have my first full chemotherapy session next week. I’ll be on this for 6 months. Thankfully my school have been wonderfully supportive and have said they will do all they can to help me along the way.

Does anyone have experience of returning to any form of teaching whilst on Chemotherapy, was it possible? My aim, side-effects dependant is to return on a very limited part-time basis for the summer term to give me some motivation for my treatment. Of course my absolute priority is to get myself better, but any previous experience be would be really appreciated.

*Just to answer the obvious question before it’s asked, my oncologist told me it would be theoretically fine for me to return when I feel up to it, although I would have to be very aware of infection. I’m 30 so she thought the side effects may not be too bad (fingers crossed!)

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I don't think you'll find anyone with any experience of teaching during chemotherapy during a coronavirus outbreak. However you feel, I suspect the advice at the moment may be to stay well away from school. Maybe a bit of skyping?

Best wishes for your treatment.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Stay home and recover. School is no place for someone going through chemo. Trust me I know.

MathMan1 likes this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It depends on the person-people do react differently, and one teacher I know did teach, for about 90 minutes per day, and felt it helped her mentally. BUT-the school was very supportive, and accepted her taking a day off whenever needed-I worry that some staff these days might find it easier to just get supply, but if you have a supportive head as you say OP, maybe you will find it ok. The main thing is to discuss it with your med team-if they don't feel Convid 19 is a reason to stay off, they probably know more than most of us. Basically do what is best for you-mentally and physically, in accordance with medical advice.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

When I was on chemo my health was far too erratic and my immune system too compromised for teaching to be viable.
    I did pop in for occasional visits, and helped a much valued colleague with some schemes of work.
    If you do want to stay in touch I'd think about 1:1 with kids who need extra support.
    There is also the issue of school duty of wellbeing towards you and whether your coming in for odd days messes up the supply teacher insurance payments.