1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching with babies or small children

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon8315, Nov 14, 2015.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Anyone fancy giving me a survival guide that is hopefully positive? :)

The main sticking point seems to be problems with nurseries and/or childminders. Most don't seem to open until 8. At present, school begins at 8:10. Given I work 45 minutes away, this is likely to be an issue.

This arose as an issue because I was nosing around various childcare websites and it made me wonder if there was anything else that just had not occurred to me - so I am asking you if you could share a 'I wish I had known then'.

:)

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Sounds as if you may need a transitional 'minder' to get the badgerlets from your place to nursery. Or drop them off with the minder.

Or employ a nanny. May not work out too much more expensive in the long run. Nanny-share?

https://www.childcare.co.uk/find/Childminders

I found this website really useful when helping daughter to look for childcare. Better still? Give up work. But you may have already thought of this. ;)

3. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

We took advantage of Mr Rabbit's self-employed status and the fact that he could mind the bunnies before school / get them to school. We didn't have to pay for childcare but his salary takes a huge hit.
    Sorry, no magic solution.

4. anon8315

I don't need magic solutions, just things that may not have occurred to me that could help. Nannies are a possibility - I don't know if finances would stretch to it though.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It is so difficult and one of the reasons I didn't do it, back in the day when it was possible to stay at home. I was foryunate I had two sets of retired parents nearby and I had a very good friend who we shared baby-sitting for. I did supply and we lived very frugally, no holidays extras etc. unless I earned, which went into the 'luxury kitty'.
    Childminders are difficult to find-at least ones with spaces. Ofsted ruined it for many of those too, who just had to give up with all the rules and regulations with which they suddenly had to conform.

I think if you can manage to find the out-of-hours childcare, the most important thing is to be very organised. (Military operation springs to mind.) Have a routine of what you do and ensure you spend some valuable quality time with your child(ren). I knew one woman as I was growing up who had 6 children and she swore by getting children to help as much as possible and multi-tasking. She often was to be found breast-feeding one child, whilst listening to another read and have yet another doing music practice in the corner of the room.
    She only ever ironed 'the parts which show' (so don't bother with sleeves if they're to be covered with a jumper, cardi or jacket.
    Dish-washing was a whole family affair, even little ones can be given a plate/ cup to put on a table, so the wiper can just keep wiping dry and not keep moving to put away etc. Same goes for loading a dishwasher, let the little ones help and if necessary change to some new, cheap crockery which you're not worried about breaking. Then everyone can sit down together or a little one can be bathed, whilst a someone irons, runs the vacuum around etc.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

With two small ones, I found it far less stressful to employ a day nanny. Our main problem with the childminder (that we took the children to - may not be the same for all) wouldn't have them if they were at all unwell - even mild conditions such as a cold. Having our own nanny meant we didn't have to worry and she was flexible too if I needed to stay after school for meetings. I did have to get to grips with being an employer though and deal with tax and NI for her.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. anon8315

Problem is, at the moment, we are living in a one bedroomed flat.

Now this will definitely change by the time badgercub is 3 or so, but in the interim, I would worry that a nanny would be very cooped up with him or her and that it would be better for them to be in a nursery or childminders setting.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I would expect the nanny to take him/her out quite a bit. To the library. For fresh air. To the park. To the shops. On a bus. Playgroup. Etc etc etc.

marlin likes this.
  9. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

I read something along this line recently: Think of it as an investment in your career. If the extra expense of employing someone to suit your schedule results in a happier, more productive teacher and mother, it is worth it.

My dear OH played the 'too expensive' card and I bought it. Result: a frazzled, resentful, eventually depressed moi. If I had it to do over again. I would have had a nanny in my house.

10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We were faced with the same problem, e.g. I had to leave by 7am for a commute to arrive by 8. (new job a bit later, so we drop off toddler a little later)

We have a private childminder who takes our toddler to loads of activities and is highly qualified.

We looked at www.childcare.co.uk so you could look through and see what is available in your area (they are registered and can take childcare vouchers, etc)

We have a great childminder who has a great relationship with our toddler!