1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching with a past criminal record

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by coco1989nut, Sep 10, 2020.

1. coco1989nut

coco1989nut New commenter

Hi,

I've been teaching ESL in China and Korea for the last few years. I was thinking about returning home, qualifying and teaching properly. I have a degree in Maths and 6+ years experience in ESL.

I do however have numerous spent convictions and cautions that don't show up on a basic check, hence how I can get a visa for the above countries. Is it worth returning home to do a PGCE? Even if I can go on the course , would any school take me on?

The convictions / cautions were for common assault, fraud and drunk and disorderly. Last conviction was when I was 19 I'm 33 now.

Any advice

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If what your have written is correct, then you'd be fine.

3. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

If you have more than 1 conviction - not caution - they will all show up on a dbs

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But won't necessarily stop you being a teacher.

Piranha likes this.
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Check the six year filtering list - you’ll find it with a google search. It tells you which offences show up and which don’t.

6. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

Remember that it's never the original offence that trips people up: it's the cover up. Be totally honest and disclose everything and I think you've a good chance. You were young and have grown up. Be clear with yourself that none of the offences show any pattern against children.

Why English when you have a maths degree? Somebody will snap your hand off if you offer to teach maths! Perhaps go down the "school direct" route? This might give you a better feel for your future prospects and allow their confidence in you to grow. From my direct experience as part of an in school training alliance we quickly reject people who give us bad vibes. Am I unfair in saying PGCE courses would take you on and worry about whether you'd get a job later? Good luck

7. hankay

hankay Occasional commenter

This piqued my interest.

Would you be willing to share examples of the "bad vibes" that put you off employing (or even interviewing) people?

8. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

Yes. Swearing repeatedly in interview. Sending inappropriate confrontational emails

9. hankay

hankay Occasional commenter

Swearing?! Who in their right mind...

I guess not even the unthinkable to most is unthinkable to all.

10. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Personally speaking, I’d have an issue with appointing someone with several criminal convictions.... fraud especially. The drunk one is a none issue... fraud though is premeditated

11. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

It would be very hard to get training or work with either the assault or the fraud. Unlikely you would be employed. Having said that, I do know of a teacher who got a caution for assault while they were already employed, and the head chose to keep them on. 10 years later, they are still working, but are unable to move on from that school, ever.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Many schools have a policy on the employment of ex-offenders. Do a Google search to show you a couple of examples.

The first hurdle is getting accepted on a PGCE, so search for that too.

I think that actual policies from Unis and schools may be a sounder base for taking the decision that just what people like me say on a forum!

Best wishes

Twitter @Theo_Griff