1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching with a criminal record

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Homa1981, May 18, 2018.

1. Homa1981

Homa1981 New commenter

Hello all, I’m looking for a bit of advice or if anyone has any experience of gaining employment with a criminal record.
    I am a 36 year old male who is going to start a SCITT course September. Fourteen years ago I was involved in an altercation outside a nightclub that resulted in a criminal record. I was trying to break up a fight between two friends and in the scuffle I fell onto a police officer. I was charged with assaulting a police officer and a section 4 public order offence (using abusive language in public). At the time, although interested in teaching, I never really held out any hope of changing careers so I decided to plead guilty. Although this is a serious offence that can carry a custodial sentence I was only fined £80 plus £100 costs which I think shows how minor the incident was.
    I am now in a position where I am going to be leaving a well paid and secure job (that I hate) to try my hand at teaching. My course provider have been excellent and I have been honest from the start about the events of that evening. My concern is gaining employment after completing the course, the provider do offer some jobs but nothing is guaranteed. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of either employing someone like myself or being in my shoes?

Thanks in advance

2. ictbev

ictbev New commenter

A colleague/friend had a similar experience at the same sort of age. He was up front and honest in interviews, was given a chance and is now a Deputy Head.

Good luck

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am no expert on this, but I don't think that this offence is one that cannot be filtered from DBS checks, so it may not appear on your DBS. I would imagine you will have had to have a DBS for your course, in which case you can check if it is there. If not, I don't believe that you have to disclose spent convictions.

This is only what I have surmised, and you might want to get some decent legal advice. Perhaps whatever union you join (you are going to join one, aren't you?) will be able to help.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It won't appear on a DBS so I don't see the problem

5. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Won't appear on DBS - don't mention it.

Mermaid7 likes this.