1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching water module aqa gcse chemistry

Discussion in 'Science' started by GreenyBee, Feb 22, 2011.

1. GreenyBee

GreenyBee New commenter

Evening all,
    I've been given my first module to teach after half term - C3, chemistry module on water. Am very nervous about this and the topic looks a little dry (excuse the pun!). I was wondering if anyone had any tips that would be happy to share with me about how to spice up the intro to this topic.
    Fingers crossed and many thanks in advance.

2. GreenyBee

GreenyBee New commenter

Evening all,
    I've been given my first module to teach after half term - C3, chemistry module on water. Am very nervous about this and the topic looks a little dry (excuse the pun!). I was wondering if anyone had any tips that would be happy to share with me about how to spice up the intro to this topic.
    Fingers crossed and many thanks in advance.

3. There are quite a few variations on a theme of testing water for hardness using volume of soap to get a lather.
    You could see what chlorides cause hardness in water, test the hardness of water from different places.
    You could also look at the solubility curves for a solute.

Hope that helps a little.

4. 'Creative chemistry' has a nice class practical to develop a solubility curve for potassium nitrate. Removing hardness using ion exchange column and precipitating with sodium carbonate. Research health benefits and disadvantages to living in hard water areas. Testing water hardness using soap solution (how many drops to form a permanent lather). I quite like this topic!