1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching very low ability group grades 1-3

Discussion in 'English' started by Mrs Blag, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Mrs Blag

Mrs Blag New commenter

Hi all

I'm starting in a new school in September with a class of target grade 1-3 in English and English Literature. I'm teaching Love and Relationships, Macbeth, and J&H. I have always taught mixed ability classes and I know I won't have a TA in the classroom. What would the advice be from others who have taught GCSE courses to very low ability? Any top tips for motivation, or the kind of resources to focus on making?

Thanks for any advice!

2. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Know their specific needs.
    Be aware that low ability children will have a whole range of other issues too, frequently social and behavioural.
    Keep the tasks very short. Start simple and make them more complex as you go.
    Give them different tasks within a lesson but keep them familiar, so they know what they are doing.
    Praise, encourage and reward. Far far more than for any other group. I hate to say it but sweets work really well because the rewards can be given instantly.
    Have clear classroom expectations. Have them on the wall and point them out when the children get warnings.
    Have a clear removal policy agreed with the school. If they have a time out card, where can they use it?
    Make as much use as you can of any additional support the students are getting, such as homework club or withdrawal. If they have done something outside the classroom, they will want to show everyone.

I would also say, look at your own routine for recovering after teaching a class like this. How are you going to get your own blood pressure back to normal?

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Great advice above. Aim higher and you might be pleasantly surprised, but do so with tons of scaffolding. Let them know you care about them as people, and not just grades. Ask them for their input and - as mentioned above - take care of yourself.