1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching v Social Work

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by melvolio10, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, thanks for looking at this message and apologies if I sound a bit confused (it could well be because I am!)

After disastrous forays into working in the law and as a researcher for an investment bank I have decided that I really want a career that fits in with my values and beliefs. I am a passionate believer in social justice and want a job where I can try to improve the conditions of life for people who are struggling. To that end I have decided that the right career for me will either be as a teacher (secondary English) or as a social worker.

I have come to a point in my life (about to turn 30 and with some big recent changes in my family circumstances) where the next career choice I make will really need to be the right one (especially given my previous false starts and the fact that I will need to spend at least a year retraining in either case). I am a compassionate, patient and (when heading in the right direction!) committed individual so I guess my question is whether anyone has any thoughts as to which of these professions would enable me to be more useful and have the greater positive impact on people's lives?

Thanks