1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching True Blood for ME1 on WJEC

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by tartxcore, Dec 7, 2011.

1. After Christmas I get to embark on the challenge of teaching my placement classes True Blood for their ME1 exam.
    Im excited as I love the show but at the same time im dreading showing a bunch of 16/17 year olds full on sex scenes and violence....I know im going to end up with a giggling class.
    I'm just not sure what is the best way to approach teaching such a text that has so many issues within it to students who im not sure are totally ready for it.
    It is not my choice of text however but that of my placement college.
    Any advice?!

2. After Christmas I get to embark on the challenge of teaching my placement classes True Blood for their ME1 exam.
    Im excited as I love the show but at the same time im dreading showing a bunch of 16/17 year olds full on sex scenes and violence....I know im going to end up with a giggling class.
    I'm just not sure what is the best way to approach teaching such a text that has so many issues within it to students who im not sure are totally ready for it.
    It is not my choice of text however but that of my placement college.
    Any advice?!

3. Hey

I had a similar experience when on teaching placement last year. I wanted to introduce students to sound and had the audio playing with no image (it was Delicatessan -spelling bad) with the springs etc going. I actually found the response from the class great, it started with giggling but it also brought them in and they were interested in how the visual and audio worked together.
    I expected a lot more hassle especially when i showed 16-18 yr old students British Horror and opted for girls running around the screen naked (lesbian vampires / wickerman etc) but dare i say it students can actually surprise you after the initial shock of what they are watching. Especially if their focus is clear.
    In the run up to the lesson/s i prewarned students that i would ask them to leave if they didnt behave appropiately (which i followed through and 1 student (a boy) was asked to leave the room on 2 seperate occassions.
    Doesnt help much with true blood but gives a positive that students can surprise you!

4. Do you mean MS1 or MS4?

5. I meant MS1 sorry! typing error!