1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching tricky words

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by modgepodge, Feb 5, 2012.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I'm having a bit of a blank about teaching tricky words. My kids are phase 5 (Year 1), and have been taught the tricky words for this phase (Mrs, looked, asked etc). We are trying to do a lesson a fortnight focused on these words for various reasons, and I think it needs to be more to do with spelling these words as lots of kids still write "lookt" even when they've JUST looked at a flashcard with the correct spelling on!! Now that they've been introduced, any ideas how to practice this? I feel confident teaching phonetic stuff but not so much the tricky words, for some reason.

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Have they been taught that "ed" is a suffix that we add to show that the verb is in the past tense (not necessarily with all that jargon)? They might need a few lessons focussing on that eg by turning sentences written in the present tense, into sentences written in the past tense.
    Once they understand the principle, then they should be able to read and write regular words that follow the pattern - whether or not they're on the official L&S tricky words list.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Good point. I don't know - I only took over in January. I haven't explicitly taught them that. Is it on the phonics scheme to teach that at some point (I haven't noticed it before) or is that something you'd teach at a different point? (Sorry I'm sure that's a really stupid question.)

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I don't use Letters and Sounds, so don't know if it's in there or not. But, if I was teaching children words that include the "ed" ending, then I'd teach them when to use it, and encourage them to apply the ending to other words.