1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching 'Time' in Key Stage 2 (advice greatly appreciated)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by josephcarter, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hello.

Could anyone give advice on teaching the topic of time in Key Stage 2? (This is for a presentation).

I would be interested to know what methods there are to help children learn about it, what works and what doesn't? Does anyone have any winning formulas?

Also, what observations have you made in terms of understanding, in terms of higher and lower ability children?

Any advice most welcome and many thanks in advance.

Joseph

2. PS I should note this is for a presentation

3. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Hi, I would certainly be using the ITP resources from the Numeracy Strategy for shared teaching and several good resources off the internet. I would also be using hands on clocks for the less able children to really become confident with analogue time. Higher end of KS2 will certainly be working on 24 hour digital time and timetables. This will lead on to one and two step problems based on time.
    In terms of ability, time can be tricky for pupils of all abilities. Some of my most able pupils in year 3 and 4 have struggled with the concept. It is not unusual for teachers to reorganise ability groups completely to teach this topic.
    Look at resources available on the internet and in a school before you write up your presentation. Hope this helps.