1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching 'Time' in Key Stage 2 (advice greatly appreciated)

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by josephcarter, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hello.

Could anyone give advice on teaching the topic of time in Key Stage 2?

I would be interested to know what methods there are to help children learn about it, what works and what doesn't? Does anyone have any winning formulas?

Also, what observations have you made in terms of understanding, in terms of higher and lower ability children?

Any advice most welcome and many thanks in advance.

Joseph

2. PS I should note this is for a presentation.

3. To discuss this topic you will need to make sure that your audiance understand how difficult many KS2 students find 'time' and how fragile and patchy what understanding they do have often is.
    One of your greatest resources for conveying this may be your language teachers. 'Time' is a core topic in language teaching and language teachers are used being regularly shocked by students lack of understanding.
    Students need practical exposure to time related experiences, where their attention is drawn to key features of the way time progresses and is measured.
    There was a fabulous program on radio 4 recently about time which presented the idea that time does not progress at a steady rate - the rate at which it progresses depends on how much our brain is doing. Whether or not you agree with this, it is important to understand that this claim is true in a natural way for children and they need to be explicitly taught to marry their own experience of time with our collective experience.
    I make sure my children have both digital and analogue clock in their rooms and that from a young age I teach them that they do not get out bed before 6:30 and they do not come out of their rooms until 7:30 (unless they can hear that people are up). This is not just because I can't stand the sight of them before 7:30, it is to give them a steady and a substantial expereince of time - how it feels, how it progresses and how it is measured.

4. Thanks very much, most appreciated - a thorough response!

Could you tell me when you heard this piece on Radio 4 as it would be great to listen on archive.

Many thanks

5. DM

DM New commenter

Shock news - becka makes a sensible post ...
    ... about time.

6. About a month ago I think so it would be gone from iplayer. No idea which program. Maybe someone else heard it?