1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching time in an independent senior school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by karel, Mar 27, 2018.

1. karel

karel Occasional commenter

Could someone please give me an idea of what would be considered to be a typical amount of teaching time (as a proportion of the total no. of periods available) in a senior independent school.

Thank you.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Anything from about 60% to 90% is normal.

Depends on the school, the subject, the finances, etc, etc

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

The "real" percentage also depends on the school's approach to allocating cover :)

4. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

And also how much extra curricular you're expected to do...

5. caterpillartobutterfly

6. Hil2009

Hil2009 New commenter

To give you some idea, in my school we call a full time position teaching 33 lessons a week. These are 35 minutes long. A full week has 45 lessons so this gives you an idea of a percentage. As the others say, there's then a couple of duties, clubs and cover when needed but schools try to be fair in sharing that out.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It's quite simple.

The more money a school has, the more non-contact time it can allocate both to "ordinary" teachers and to those with extra responsibilities such as HoY or HoD.

So this is a "How long is a piece of string?" question.

Best wishes

8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Gosh Theo, that's a massive oversimplification. I started my independent career in a massively wealthy school which placed no value on staff wellbeing - the timetabling there was the heaviest I've ever seen.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

I agree with Theo that finance plays a massive part, but also agree with you that it isn't the only thing.

I know of an independent which is looking to cutting non-contact time to the 10% that state school teachers have and stopping all cover, for purely financial reasons. However, teachers aren't impressed with it as a solution and are pointing out how they do an awful lot more duties than state school colleagues and have a much longer teaching day.

10. nighttrace

nighttrace New commenter

It really varies. In my school (boarding), the max is 19 x 55 mins per week. It is significantly fewer than day schools but we have other duties and activities to run.

11. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

We teach 2/3 of the available periods, but we can get a lot of cover at various times of the year, as our school prefers in-house cover to hiring outside help. It is much less than in a state school as far as hours per week, but the pay is less so it is not Nirvana. I wouldn't go back to a state school for double my salary though, if that helps you make your mind up.

12. willcott

willcott New commenter

+1

Along with a significant pastoral and co-curricular commitment. I.e. four afternoons of sport (including Saturday), one evening boarding duty per week etc.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, @drvs

Yes. I take your point entirely. But I still stick by my point - the more money a school has, the more non-contact time it can allocate. Can allocate - not will!

A school with poor income will not be able to do as much, as @caterpillartobutterfly says above.

And overall, of course, the main point is that independent schools are a very mixed bag, and really you cannot guess what any one school will do by looking at what another does.

Best wishes