1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching through books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dejana, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I'm hoping to find someone, who could possibly help me with my English planning for next year. Since some of you are so much more experienced in the world of primary, you might be able to help me out.

I'm moving from a middle to a primary school in September and have been told I'm supposed to teach through set books, use talk for writing, etc. now, I'm reading the books and have a few ideas of what I'd like to do with them. My question is, however, how on Earth are you supposed to get through such long texts in lesson times? I've taught using books before, but those were shorter books and I tended to have class sets. My lesson times are also reduced from 10 hours of English/Humanities to 5 hours per week.

Anybody got any fabulous ideas? Trying to get audiobook copies for the books, but is there anything else I can do? Just sitting listening to me read is ok every now and then, but not for that amount of time. I'd also rather they were able to follow the text in their own copy. Is there a reason why there aren't any class sets being used for this?

Still trying to get my head round all of this.

Thanks.

2. Now, how do I get paragraphs on the IPad? They show up before I post alright.

3. You type a 'less than' symbol, then type p, then type 'more than' symbol. Also, look at the help window and click on 'forums' which leads you to info on what to type if you want to put in emoticons etc.

4. thanks, I'll try next time. Why make things easy, if they can be made complicated?
    the joy of testing school stuff in the holidays...

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which year group are you moving to? And which book are you supposed to be doing first?

I'm surprised you will have less literacy/topic time. Most middle schools just have the 5 literacy lessons, plus subject lessons. Primaries tend to teach guided reading, phonics/spelling, etc outside the literacy hour, giving much more time.

6. I'll be in Year 5. The first two texts are fine, but the third one is Shadow of the Minotaur, by Alan Gibbons, which is quite long. It also includes Stormbreaker, which is fine, as I have taught that.
    I used to have six hours of English, plus History, plus Geography, plus PHSE and sometimes French thrown in for good measure. In that time, I did one hour guided reading/library, one hour reading booster/basic skills and the rest were English Link lessons, which included the topic and English work. Art, music and DT were discrete.
    Now, I'll get about 50 minutes each morning for English/Topic, because all the other stuff is being done in the afternoons. The timings are also different, which means 35 minutes less teaching time per day. I think I'll just have to resign to the idea that I won't be covering as much content and focus on skills.
    When I asked about it, I was told they teach humanities and science as blocks, but I'm not quite sure how this works and wether that means I leave it out of the planning. Definitely don't like the idea of teaching Science only for a week or so every now and then.

7. Hello Dejana.
    Do you have to use such long books?
    I have had success using picture books for narrative and recount writing - many of the David Weisner books are fab.

8. Thanks for the reply, scubaholic.
    They are set texts and I haven't chosen them. I would have picked other books to work with, tbh, but I don't think I'll be allowed to change them. It's a new school for me and a new way of working. I don't think I can go in with the attitude of "don't like it, won't do it". I find the concept interesting, just need to get my head around it.
    I'm also not sure whether I'm supposed to cover all the different text types in each unit. I've picked three to cover in the first term, now, since I can understand that you can write in a lot of different genres linked to the text, but the features do have to be taught and practised. No point doing two text types each week and just expecting the kids to know it all. Or am I getting this wrong?

9. Oh I see. Could you pick the previous teacher's brains to see how they worked it or is there a parallel class teacher you could ask or is it a one form entry?
    I think you are quite right regarding needing to teach the different genres otherwise there is no point!!
    Don't beat yourself up about it - I'd be thinking the same things if I were in your position.