1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Theory topics through Practical lessons

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by davidhammers, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any good ideas for teaching any of the GCSE theory through practical lessons?

I have quite a difficult class that are hard to engage in the classroom and would like to experiment with a few practical lessons in order to teach them the theory side of the course in a more fun and active way.

Obviously some topics lend themselves to practical a lot easier such as 'factors that affect performance' where I have delivered some good lessons on arousal, stress, anxiety etc but I am struggling to think of any new creative ideas.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

2. Does anyone have any good ideas for teaching any of the GCSE theory through practical lessons?

I have quite a difficult class that are hard to engage in the classroom and would like to experiment with a few practical lessons in order to teach them the theory side of the course in a more fun and active way.

Obviously some topics lend themselves to practical a lot easier such as 'factors that affect performance' where I have delivered some good lessons on arousal, stress, anxiety etc but I am struggling to think of any new creative ideas.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

3. On one of my teaching placements, I taught a lesson on the Cardio-Vascular system practically.

We had four mats in the middle of the gym (one for each chamber of the heart), another two for the lungs and one for the body. With various obstacles (SAQ hurdles or ladders or cones to jump over) representing the blood vessels.

We had blue and Red bibs (to represent oxygenated and deoxygenated blood) and pupils, in two teams had to race round the 'course', naming the various part they were in at each point (the different chambers of the heart or the particular vein etc), changing bibs as and when necessary.

It was a really good, fun lesson. Obviously this depends on the group number and maturity level of the group.
    Also, this was first lesson after break so I set it up myself at break time to speed things up a bit.
    Hope that helps and of course makes sense!

bteaching12 likes this.
  4. bteaching12

bteaching12 New commenter

Thank you so much! Students loved this!

5. Katieteachesdance

Katieteachesdance New commenter

Hello,

Hopefully this article on cross-curricular learning might help give you some ideas!
    Good luck.