1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching the time

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by OTTER, Feb 23, 2012.

1. First of all don't take for granted that they can all tell the time from a clock face. It would probably be best to stick to digital. I am guessing that this lesson is being observed. You don't want to find your self side tracked into teaching how to tell the time to some in the class.
    Make sure that you revise relevant numbers first, good starter activity probably.
    Dominos are good.
    Listening activity with times
    Oral pair work back 2 back. Each student has half the times and they give each other the missing times.

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Laminate a set of blank analogue and/or digital clock faces. Give them one each or one between two and a whiteboard pen (highlighters work too). You say a time, they either draw the clock hands in or write the time in numbers and hold it up for you to check.
    Card sort - laminate a set of clocks and times separately and cut them up - they work in pairs and match them up.
    Winner stays on - a grid of clocks on the whiteboard screen, they come up in twos, you say a time, the first to point to it stays on for another turn and you choose a new partner to come to the front.
    If you IM me your email address I could send you some stuff as an attachment if you like.

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

One of the best moves I ever made when teaching time was to go up to the SEN dept and have a chat with them about how they did it. They gave me loads of fab resources and ideas. One of my favourite resources is a set of little clocks, and I have a big Early-Learning-Centre one. I set a time on it, hide it, say the time and they have to set that time on the little clocks. Then of course they can set times for each other in pairs.
    I would do o'clocks and 1/2 pasts first and embed that before trying 1/4 past. Be mindful that with 1/4 to difficulties often arise with digital time - 4.45 is quarter to 5 and not 4.

4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

5. runaway

runaway New commenter

Why not kick off with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CKMaRwicSg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    (it's the babel zone chanson des squelettes) And ask them to work out from the song how to say it is one o clock, 2o'clock etc, as a starter activity?

6. Thank you all for these brilliant ideas!
    Now I'm going to have a hard time planning because they all are great and I just have one hour lol !
    Yes Otter I'm being observed, that's why I really want to deliver an excellent lesson. Fingers crossed!
    Kitty I've sent you a msg. Thank you all very much!

7. kittylion

Have replied Janna - hope it goes well

8. Good luck Janna. Let us know how it goes.

9. Have you tried to use the sandfields clock on your IWB? It's great!
    http://www.sandfields.co.uk/games/clickclock/clickclock

10. Hello everyone,
    just to let you know that thx to you my lesson went brilliantly.
    Thank you all for taking the time to give me ideas, especially Kitty for e-mailing me those great resources. I had very good feedback from my tutor and my mentor. Also the pupils really enjoyed the lesson and the plenary showed that they all met the LO.
    I was here last summer panicked about the application process then the interview and then the course itself. And here we are in March! I passed my SE1, SE2 is going well and I passed the skills tests. I just have one more observation and one big assignment and I will be done. I'm very happy about it.
    Thank you to all the people in this forum who helped me when I had questions or just worries. I am really grateful for your kindness; I'm happy I chose this path I love everything about being an education professional, especially the lovely people you get to meet, in real life and virtually. Heartfelt thank you.

11. kittylion

I am so glad it went well Janna:)

12. Thank you so much Kitty you've been incredibly kind!!

13. Years ago, a colleague showed me how to let the children make their own analog "clocks" from paper plates. I have been using this idea since then. I prepare the clocks a bit by punching a hole in the center with the metal point of a math compass against the felt of a chalkboard eraser. I then cut index cards into strips; half of the strips are longer than the others for the minute and hour hands respectively. I cut one of the sides with scissors into points. I punch a hole into the sqaure side with the sharp compas point. The students number the clocks and decorate them. This sounds like a lot of work but it does not take too long to prepare. I've read the other comments.... it is true that many students cannot easily tell time with analog clocks; you may have to teach or review that. I feel that time must be taught in three parts: the hour on the hour, the minutes after the hour until half-past, and then the minutes before the hour. I am surprised that many colleagues are happy to teach students to say "eight-forty" rather than "nine minus twenty" which is the more common expression in French, Italian, and Spanish. I have a store bought teacher ("Judy") clock to demonstrate the time. I have the children use their clocks by using TPR (total physical response) activities. I like to test this unit with a listening comprehension quiz: I say the time in the target language and the students draw hands on (numbered) clock faces and write the digital time below each clock face as well. When I say the words for noon or midnight the students must draw a sun or a crescent moon and star on that clock face. I think that this unit takes time to teach properly; I have the children make their own flashcards (I stamp index cards with a clock face stamp that I purchased). I teach the time of day: morning, afternoon, evening at a later time to spiral and review the material in a new way. I never teach only one topic at a time. I would also teach something related to time such as: school subjects (to be able to discuss the schedule), cinema and theater (to discuss starting times), transportation ( to discuss arrival and departure times), etc.

14. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

He he, I made a batch from white polystyrene pizza bases! They've lasted years, just stick some coloured paper on one side, draw or stick numbers on, then put some cardboard hands through, attach with a butterfly pin, job's done! (I don't give them to the kids though, they're mine!)

15. Hi Noemie!
    Remember me?
    Can you believe that I have less than 3 months to go?
    Feels like yesterday when I was asking 3000 questions about bursaries, loans and the rest! ;-)

16. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I'm so glad you're doing well and still enjoying it! Where are you at with the job hunting?

17. Thank you Noemie!

I've sent my application to a couple of teaching pools so I'm waiting.
    The good thing is that my Mentor said that there might be a chance to work in my current school, she said that if I apply she'll back it up. I was told the same thing by the other teacher I work with, I'm really pleased about it. So fingers crossed, I absolutely love this school and I get along really well with everyone!
    Thanks for asking ;-)

18. Hi, your post is really useful! I am preparing a lesson about time for my tudents, first time I am doing it - do you still have the resources mentioned in this post and would you be able to send them to me?