1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching the new curriculum in a mixed age group class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsTeacherMummy, Aug 20, 2015.

1. MrsTeacherMummy

MrsTeacherMummy New commenter

Hi there

I was a NQT last year teaching a mixed class; 20 year 2 pupils and 8 really bright year 1s, so I followed the year 2 objectives which was the old curriculum. I will be teaching a mixed class in Sept but I have been told that in the new curriculum you can not teach the following year group's objectives to a class but you can teach the year below. I can not find any information to support this. Does anyone know if this is true?

2. annie apple

annie apple New commenter

Hi -

With the new curriculum, once the children have secured the objectives for their year group, they must now show 'mastery' of these objectives, remaining with their year group on the same objectives but showing a deeper level of understanding. The NCETM website have some really good examples for each year group of what that might look like in maths and ideas for extending the bright ones.