1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching The Grapes of Wrath at A Level and no resources out there - help!

Discussion in 'English' started by Audrey80, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Audrey80

Audrey80 New commenter

Hi All,

I'm teaching OCR English Literature for the first time and have chosen to do both the Grapes of Wrath and The Great Gatsby for American Literature. Problem is, there is NOTHING out there of any use to help with planning for TGOW. There are some great study guides for other texts, but a huge dearth as far as TGOW is concerned. Does anyone have any websites or anything they can recommend? I don't intend to simply use a study guide in lieu of planning, but I find they really help as something to hang my planning off and as a stimulus for ideas (if they're decent quality, of course).

Please give me some suggestions as I'm staring at a blank screen right now, feeling completely uninspired (much as I love the novel)!

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Just create your own stuff. You can do it. Get some focus questions. Collage up contextual background stuff and allocate focus areas to the kids. Questions on themes. You know the drill.

4. Audrey80

Audrey80 New commenter

I've had a good look on here, and you're right, there's a lot, but not really anything suitable for A Level, unfortunately. The other link is really useful though - thanks very much. Out of interest, what did you Google?

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

"grapes of wrath" lesson plans units - something like that.