1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching terminology to AS Eng Lang students

Discussion in 'English' started by GilsonsButton, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I am a PGDE student undertaking research for my Option 1 module. I would be very interested to hear of methods and resources you have used to teach terminology to AS English Language learners. Which methods and resources have you found most effective? Which would you recommend, and why? Many thanks for any help you can give.

2. I am a PGDE student undertaking research for my Option 1 module. I would be very interested to hear of methods and resources you have used to teach terminology to AS English Language learners. Which methods and resources have you found most effective? Which would you recommend, and why? Many thanks for any help you can give.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Whichever method is used, the terminology needs to be recycled regularly as it takes a while to stick. I used a range of methods for initial introduction from matching activities to guessing from context to dictionaries and reviewed the terms with short activities such as crosswords, hangman and other word puzzles (what2learn has some great flash templates). I also had large displays for key terms on the walls to help them.
    The most effective method of getting it in their heads is to insist that they use it all the time whether in discussions or written analysis. And it's essential to move them away from feature-spotting to actual analysis as they can feel rather pleased with their mastery of terms and forget that the point is actually to critically engage with texts.