1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Supply in NQT year

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by chicme, Jul 17, 2016.

1. chicme

chicme New commenter

Hi I've just been awarded QTS/PGCE for secondary school maths. I did not apply for a single job during my training and I found training pretty tough (who doesn't, I hear you say) and worried I may not pass (my mentor/tutor kept assuring me they thought I definitely would).

Anyway, as a result of not applying for a job, I do not have one. I'm thinking of applying do so supply for the first term at least and then think about doing my induction year next year or earlier (I'll have to wait and see).

What is the best way of getting supply work as as NQT please?
    Should I go straight to agencies? To schools ? Councils? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I do have children, which made my training extra tasking so I don't mind doing supply for a while to be honest. I think having a little break before my induction year would be a good thing. I do worry about behaviour of children during supply though.

Any advice very welcome. I am based in the north of England.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Why didn't you apply for any jobs ?

There's a shortage of maths teachers.

Anyway...your best bet is to start joining a few agencies (two or three) - you can do this over the Summer - as a maths person they will snap your hand off.

But- be aware - supply is not easy but can be a very good way of looking for jobs.

Best of luck

3. chicme

chicme New commenter

To be honest I just wanted to concentrate on completing my training. I downloaded a few application forms but whenever I sat down to complete them, I found myself mentally drained and couldn't complete them. I didn't want to send a rubbish application either.

4. chicme

chicme New commenter

Could anyone recommend good agencies please?

5. mollymegan19

mollymegan19 New commenter

I would keep applying for full time jobs as well - as a shortage subject I think you'd have a good chance of getting a post still, unless you are nervous about this and that's why you are focusing on supply?

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You must find the good agencies or look on the facebook sites for supply teachers. Try a few of the bigger ones first (they tend to have more and better contacts).

7. tashaerodriguez

tashaerodriguez New commenter

I think facebook would prove to be the best source for the supply teacher.

8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The supply forum on this site is also a source.

9. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

I get what you are saying about the stress of the PGCE and having kids. I did my PGCE just as my youngest went into reception class - he's now starting year 10! I found it particularly hard because I also had an unhelpful partner who scowled at the amount of work I was doing, but didn't really lift a finger to help.

I opted for supply in my first year and it was the best thing that I did because I could swap and change if I wanted to and I was more likely to get schools much closer to home. My first permanent job the following year was over an hour's drive to and from school every day.

Supply is actually a really good way of honing your behaviour management techniques. I did a year of supply in my NQT year and luckily, got a long term placement for almost an entire year. I started in the second week of September and went through to the July. From the January of the year, my school also let me do two terms of my NQT which was fab as when I started my permanent school, there was only a term to do and I had very few standards to complete.

Hopefully, by now, you have signed on to at least two or three agencies. Be aware of one aspect though... Technically, if a school that you are working in on a temporary basis offers you a permanent position, the agency have the right to ask the school for a 'finders fee'. So, keep friendly relationships with your agency representative at arms length. It is also worth being with more than one agency because if you are offered a job, you can just say that you have been offered another long term placement with another.agency.