1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching styles imposed by academy schools could force teachers to strike

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 17, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘A teaching union has voted to support strikes in schools that seek to "impose teacher-led instruction" and curtail its members' professional freedom to use a range of teaching styles.

The NEU is concerned that the Department for Education is using its curriculum fund to support curriculum materials that are "knowledge rich" and have "whole-class teaching at their core".

The union claims it “shows a clear bias to a particular style of teaching, and takes away a teacher’s professionalism and freedom to use a range of teaching styles and techniques, including creative, enquiry-based instruction”. ‘

What are your views about this issue? Are you concerned about teacher-led instructions being imposed in your school?

https://www.tes.com/news/we-know-our-****-teachers-could-strike-if-schools-impose-teaching-styles

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Amused that Forum filters delete TES's own page URL! (The asterisked word is s h i t in case you are wondering). This will take you to the page: https://bit.ly/2VRzYkm

3. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

I don't know what is meant by "teacher-led instructions". I assume most lessons will include these ? Can someone explain this to me clearly and tell me why it is controversial. TY.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So the headline is
    We know our s h i t teachers could strike if schools impose teaching styles?
    But the good ones won't?
    Slightly defeats their argument that one. :rolleyes:

Pomza, CheeseMongler and agathamorse like this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I hadn't spotted that. Great example of how punctuation can change meaning. The magazine headline actually reads

‘We know our shi t': Teachers could strike if schools impose teaching styles

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL I thought it might have some punctuation, but the link didn't make it clear.
    It amused me almost as much as TES having their own headlines starred out.:)

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

I'm conflicted on this one. On the one hand, management must never be allowed to dictate how one teaches. It's abhorrent and they can get bent. However, I do a lot of teacher led anyway. There's a lot of stuff they need to be told, and there are no textbooks except the utterly useless electronic ones these days. I can't think of another way of getting lots of facts over to them. Mind you, one m.oron suggested I allow them to discover the science for themselves...

8. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

Quite right too. A few simple experiments and they should be able to deduce the structure of the atom, the equivalence of mass and energy, the standard model of particle physics and the curvature of space-time to give just a few examples!

tenpast7, Jamvic, topquark and 6 others like this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Given that teachers haven't struck over all the other impositions then this seems to be a strange 'last straw'.

But I suppose a union can hardly say, "Our members will continue to leave if this continues" even though it's probably more truthful.

SomethingWicked and agathamorse like this.
  10. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Are teaching Unions weak when headteachers, ceos and others do not support them anyway?

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I did a spell on supply to an academy where they insisted that everyone used their printed 8 part (yes that is 8 part) lesson plans for every lesson. So I would open the folder at the page and put it on the desk close to the window between the room and the corridor. Then I would teach my lessons my way. SMT walking past would look in, see the folder open and walk on!

12. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I trust that this is a ‘proper ‘ SLT who will scurry past if there are any behaviour issues but scrutinise the lesson plan with extreme prejudice should any teacher be daft enough to request support?

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A previous school of mine is a bit like this - but it has been done partly because they have so much supply.

14. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I think the arguement is that some MATS have a house style that they want the whole chain to follow. Basically a PowerPoint you have to teach from.

A cookie cutter approach which reduces the skills required to be a teacher and means that hey - anyone can do this job! As MATS are not required to employ qualified teachers anyway, you can see where this is going....

donrickles, Sally006, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  15. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Put these together, the next money saving ploy

Employ teachers or anybody else on a supply contract basis get rid after two years (just before), no pension payments, no NI payments, a lot of teachers would be freelance with a small core of permanent of malleable, mobile teachers to fill the gaps.

Jamvic, agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  16. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Teaching - soon to be part of the gig economy.

donrickles, Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  17. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

It's a shame that the DfE doesn't consider that teachers might need to respond to the students in front of them. Some classes might move on more quickly than others - some groups of students might need to approach one topic in several different ways in order to grasp it. Some students might even (heaven forbid) have some questions to ask or misunderstandings about the topic which need addressing.
    Not in the brave new world of the pre-determined lesson plans.

Jamvic, agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  18. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

It seems particularly hard to NOT be teacher led in Physics, tricky when it comes to obs and the like.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

All with the broken down, decrepit equipment left over from the last time some money was found down the back of the sofa.

Why is it that of the three Sciences Physics seems to be always at the back of the queue when it comes to buying equipment?

Having said that we did recently buy some new power supplies, why? why?

The old ones were bullet proof you could abuse them all day long and they would come back for more. Sure they needed a little TLC* but the ones we have now let out the magic smoke if you merely look in their general direction.

*In the past I would have given them the TLC they needed myself but I don't suppose I am allowed to nowadays**.

** When I repaired the fab Van de Graf for the sum of a tenner when they were about to spend £500 on a rubbish new one I was not exactly thanked for it, nor did I get back my tenner....

20. Crommo89

Crommo89 New commenter

I don't mind the great, the good and the clueless (all one group) having their own ideas.
    I don't mind them ignoring the advice of the people actually having to do the job that it's not a good idea.
    I do mind when you can't see them for dust as they move onto the next step of their career progression when it turns out to have been a bad idea and somebody else has to clear up the mess - as well as taking the blame for it being a bad idea in the first place.