1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching students how to investigate

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lou1990lou, Nov 22, 2016.

1. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

I have always had problems with my classes and trying to get them to have the patience and/openmindeness to be able to discover patterns/rules for themselves.
    I was always able to cop out of it (naughty me!) by being able to say that they won't need to do this in an exam blahblah (extra naughty !) but i always hated that this would be my fall back.

However i am now in a position where i cannot actually do that!
    I have recently started teaching MYP and am finding that in general the students I teach are better at the Criteria A [knowledge and Understanding ] assessments than the other criteria because that is the way that people naturally teach. (Oh i know there are people out there that this doesnt apply to and you're the very ones this thread is aimed at! So please keep reading!)

As a whole they are not very good at Criteria B [investigating patterns ] which then leads to problems with Criteria D [real life applications]

Does anybody have any tips or resources they would be willing to share that i would be able to use in lessons to help them develop their skills in this area?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Have you thought of doing some of the old GCSE coursework with them, diagonal differences, stairs etc?

3. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

julsmx and bombaysapphire like this.
  4. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Thank you! (Sorry for the lack of reply til now!)

5. julsmx

julsmx New commenter

Thank you for sharing this. While STEM Learning is a UK site, and I teach in New Zealand, it is one of the best I have found for STEM resources.

colinbillett likes this.
  6. chrisb2004

chrisb2004 New commenter

I think you need to structure it for them at first.

7. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

17006 (J. M. Child.)—A box will hold 12 coins, either sovereigns or shillings. 3 coins are shaken out from the box and are found to be 2 sovereigns and 1 shilling. Supposing it is not known whether any of the remaining coins in the box are sovereigns or shillings, nor whether there are 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 more ; what ought to be paid (i) for the privilege of drawing 5 more coins, (ii) to purchase all the contents, whether 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 coins?

Page 38 The Educational Times (1911)

https://archive.org/details/educationaltimes64colluoft