1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Strategies

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by rozza_k, Dec 21, 2018.

1. rozza_k

rozza_k New commenter

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rozza and I would like to know your thoughts on various teaching strategies suitable for a diverse range of students in a primary setting classroom.

2. chalkandduster

chalkandduster New commenter

Hi Rozza,

My name is Angelo, and I teach Year 3 in a Steiner school.

I’m happy to share some of my strategies, but it would help if you could be a little more specific. What strategies are you interested in? Behaviour management, transition, etc...?

There are quite a few things O do as part of my daily teaching, and they serve different purposes. For example, I have a couple of children who need additional assistance in literacy, a couple I’ve been helping with building some resilience, and others who have suffered some loss and trauma and need assistance with some anxiety. As you can see, there are lots of different strategies that can be used to help different students with different things.
    Once again, let me know what you’re after and I’ll be very happy to share some specifics.

Regards,

Angelo

3. rozza_k

rozza_k New commenter

Hi Angelo,

Thank you for your reply. I am more interested in literacy lessons and more specifically, comprehension strategies for my lower ability students, who struggle with some literal and inferential comprehension questions. Also how to develop more resilience and creativity in writing with my lower ability students. I have a couple of students in my class who are inattentive during the lessons and put little effort into their writing tasks. I've tried to work with them on one on one basis, however, they are still unable to produce work of acceptable standards or even get to complete their work. I always provide my students with a visual template and word bank when introducing and teaching a new text type.

4. alwaysclueless123

alwaysclueless123 New commenter

Hi Rozza,

My name is Mary and I teach Year 4.

I've found that with text types such as narratives and creative writing, in particular, storytelling makes the students curious and makes them want to listen and I find that it works well to grab their attention. I've also found that giving them some ideas for their stories or little hints indicating what they could write about, gives them guidance without completely interfering with their own personal creative ideas. When it comes to something like reading or reading comprehension, I've found that asking them broad questions allows them to formulate ideas and make connections between what they are reading and what they already know. Sometimes they may feel intimidated to share their ideas in a one-on-one environment with their teacher, so maybe you could try some group activities so the students can share ideas with each other.

Hope that helps!

5. Hello Rozza,

My name is Zaynab El Kassir :) I came across your post and would love to provide you with some insight on how to incorporate a variety of teaching strategies for diverse learners in the classroom.

First of all, despite the term 'diverse', you can incorporate the very same strategy that would be efficient for ALL learners in the class, focusing on a couple of great strategies at a time will maximize the impact of your lessons, whilst executing the outcomes and goals for your lessons. Ensure that the strategies you embed are not only accessible (for all learners such as EAL/D, sensory impaired, lower ability), but that they are also engaging and strive to enhance student understanding of the concept you are teaching. Here are a few strategies I keep handy with my Year One class:

- Visible Thinking Routines: These allow you to understanding learning from the eyes of your students so you know where to build them up from. Based on Hattie's theory, these include Think-Pair-Share, Chalk-Talk, I see, I think, I wonder and Zoom in.

- Explicit Teaching: Following the I do, You do, We do method, students are directed and guided throughout every step of their learning process. First you model the concept, then do it together as a class, then finish off with the students completing the task independently whilst observing them closely.

I really hope this helps and I'd love to hear how these strategies work for you!

Zaynab El Kassir