1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Standards evidence query, Wales, PGCE 2011

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by dominant_tonic, Jan 10, 2016.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Just finishing my induction, do I need a physical piece of evidence for each and every standard?

That's it.

Thanks

2. dominant_tonic

I assumed it was a silly question, and the lack of responses seems to confirm it.

I was just a bit dubious, as some examples I have seen talk about the standard but don't evidence it, whilst others still have 2/3 pieces of evidence per standard.

I'm going for one each, and hoping that's right. It's taken so long to complete through one thing and another, the rules change so much, and I couldn't find anything concrete. Hopefully this is right.

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Consult your mentor. One of the students that I mentored in the past ctreated a spreadsheet to link requirements to files of evidence. This made it easy, others used it after him. You should be getting guidance about how to provide any missing evidence.

4. desibelle

desibelle New commenter

If you're completing your induction in Wales, your mentor should be verifying and discussing this with you. You need 2 pieces of evidence for each standard. They don't necessarily have to be physical pieces as lesson observations should provide evidence of a variety of standards, so a lesson obs record can be used as evidence, All pieces of evidence must be easily available for your mentor to verify.

5. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Not a silly question at all. I recently completed my induction in Wales and I experienced the same uncertainty. In the end, I had at least one piece of evidence for each standard. Some of the standards are quite similar (such as those to do with using Welsh in the classroom) so with those I got a few examples to show some variation. With others I also had more than one, if I felt that the piece of evidence was particularly important.

I also wrote a short paragraph for each standard. This stated how my evidence met the that particular standard, and what impact it had. I got all the standards from the ECW website, put them in to a word document and wrote a paragraph for each. I would recommend doing this in a word document, and not on the ECW site itself. I also put where to find the piece of evidence (e.g. 'see file') and kept all the physical evidence in a lever arch file. The ECW site is a nightmare and automatically logs you out after a period of time, so it's best to do it in a word document and then just copy and paste them in.

A lot of evidence comes from lesson observations. I just highlighted a particular sentence from the observation and used that as evidence for the standard. My mentor wanted to see a depth and range of evidence, so it was not enough to simply 'reuse' things. I also needed to be able to discuss and talk through each standard and how I had met it.

Do check with your mentor, though. It seems that different mentors have their own expectations. Mine also wanted evidence to show that I was developing in to a 'reflective practitioner'. So, just having evidence in some cases was not enough, I also needed further evidence to show what effect a particular standard had had. Your mentor will have their own expectations so it's best to check with them. You need to be on the same page as they are the ones that will be signing you off. Hope that helps.

6. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

* I meant EWC website (Education Workforce Council) not ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling). Apologies!

7. dominant_tonic

Sorry I didn't reply to these when I read them especially as it is one of pet hates when people ask for help/advice on here and then never bother to say thank you.

So apologies and thank you.

In the end my mentor wanted 2 pieces of evidence where possible, which I got for all but 2 I think. It is finally completed! I qualified in 2009, so it has taken some perseverance to say the least. Mind you, I did work for 3 years on long term supply before they decided to let supply count.

on the upside, for the first time since qualifying, I think I have a permanent job for September, confirmation hopefully in the first few weeks after Easter. So, there you go. Anyone else feeling like giving up, I am evidence that it does come right in the end, even if it sometimes feels like it is never going to happen. Hang on in there.

Landofla and wanet like this.
  8. wanet

wanet Star commenter