1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching staff extreme right wing views

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dunnocks, Jan 13, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Its at times like this I am glad this forum is anonymous!

Has anyone taught with a colleague who expresses extreme right wing views.

I once had a HOD who tried to recruit me to "Britain first", which I took no action over, largely because I already was going through grievance procedures and couldn't fit any more complaints in.... but have always had at the back of my mind that I really should have flagged this up as well, even if I had no evidence.

He is still a HOD.

I now have another colleague who expresses similar views, supporting right wing political violence, etc. I am well up for a discussion, even a friendly argument in the photocopy room ( and we do keep them friendly, even with opposing views on Brexit, which is what is discussed most)

and my arguments with this guy are also friendly, but some of the views he expresses seem extreme, and sometimes by the way he backtracks, I suspect they are a lot more extreme than he admits publicly, and he seems to be in touch with some organisations that might be a bit suspect ( hard for e to judge, I know)

At what point if ever, would you actually go down the reporting route, and what would you do?

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'd be very wary here.
    While supporting violence or violent groups is a serious concern for any teacher, the rise of right wing extremism I think has only just begun and in a not too distant future it could be those of us who oppose it who are up against the wall.

They say a week is a long time in poliics. Give it five years and the political landscape could be unrecognisable.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Just a comment on this attitude.

Are you really saying that we should say and do nothing if and when far right agitation rears it's, very, ugly head?

What's the plan, hope if we say and do nothing that it will just go away?

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

No, absolutely not. But would think very carefully about if, how and to whom to report it via work channels.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I worked with a person recently who was a member of Momentum and supported Nationalisation, wanted Corbyn and Abbot to get into power etc etc. It made me thoroughly nauseous to have to be in the same room with someone like him.

GirlGremlin, saluki, Pomza and 6 others like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Nothing wrong with nationalisation of public services!

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

About 20 years ago (the date is significant), the school I was at appointed a very good NQT. He was originally from Northern Ireland (school was in England), and came from a Unionist part of Belfast. Though he never said much about his childhood there, he did mention various things incl. disruption caused by 'the Troubles' .

He left for personal reasons after a year, & we were sorry to see him go.

Only after he left did we find that he'd been posting rude messages on a Sinn Fein website at the time of the Good Friday negotiations:eek::eek:

8. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

You must be cafeful. Just because you disagree with him doesn't mean that be is a danger to the pupils or that he is saying anything to the kids. If he is doing this you must report it. If he is active outside school I would leave it to management to decide if he is bringing the school into disrepute.

9. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

If this was a student, at my place of work we would be expected to report this to the safe-guarding team, who would then investigate. We would not be required to have "hard evidence", concerns would be enough.

I think I would do the same in this situation. However, that would depend on whether you trust your safe-guarding team/SLT to be sensible and discreet.

10. Presleygirl

Presleygirl Occasional commenter

Safeguarding is that regardless if adult or child.you aren’t sure consult whistle blowing policy, Check duty of care, check safeguarding policy and you could
    / should always ring local safeguarding board if concerned and for advice.

If it doesn’t seem right, feel right it generally isn’t.

hplovegame48 and dunnocks like this.
  11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh 1984 rears its head again eh?

What evidence is there that this chap does anything other than spout? You don't wish to hear his political views? Well make that clear/make an excuse and move on.
    What made you/OP the political police ?

GirlGremlin, dodie102, Pomza and 11 others like this.
  12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

In an ideal world you could report such things anonymously as concerns and the person of concern would not know it was you that reported it.
    Without evidence this becomes harder. At the extreme end of paranoia, the HOD involved with the OP might have been 'testing' the OP in some way without actually being involved with Britain First.
    The other option is to let people engaged with exremism hoist themselves with their own petard eg. when their leading a protest is all over the Manchester Gazette say.

13. bluesam3

bluesam3 New commenter

It doesn't matter. If he's spouting things likely to radicalise children, then there's a pressing public interest in keeping him away from said children. In particular, encouraging violence is a pressing reason to fire him.

14. Presleygirl

Presleygirl Occasional commenter

You are going to get some very different advice regarding this issue as it will provoke a lot of responses. Right wing, extremism, animal rights all come under prevent element of safeguarding.... there is legal duty to report within this. Interpretation is key, yes you could walk away, say that’s your opinion and mine is different.
    Or you could speak out tell DSL, get advice from safeguarding board.

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Having right wing views is not in itself either a safeguarding concern or a criminal offence or misconduct. It's exactly the same as with left wing views, it depends what they are and how expressed.

16. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

I may not have expressed myself clearly. Obviously everyone is entitled to their political views, whether I agree with them or not. I would not report anyone who expressed (what some might consider to be) "extreme" views, only if I thought there might be a risk of those views being used to influence students. And even then, it would depend on circumstance, as Rott Weiler said:
    Although I work with several people whose views differ from mine, I have never been in the position in the OP; I don't know exactly what I would do if I was. I think what I meant is that if I had genuine concerns, if I thought this was more than just views that were radically different from mine, I might get advice from the safeguarding team.

Apologies if I did come over a bit 1984, that was not my intention.

dunnocks likes this.
  17. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Hmm.

If he's sharing material with children that is extreme, tell DSL. If he's merely spouting off in the staff room, I suspect there will be those sighing and rolling their eyes. I would say the same thing if it were a colleague giving extreme left wing views.

18. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Who will be left to speak up for us?
    I hoped you popped a paperclip in his coffee!

19. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

4685E5D0-D1AB-49AF-B5C1-38DBDFD44152.jpeg

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Would it be a case for reporting to 'Prevent'?