1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by manxli, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Once they get going, comparing mobile phone deals is always a good starter. And eye opener!

2. Really? I tried this a few years ago with Y8 and they couldn't care less. Parents pay the phone bill, the kids don't really give two hoots. And if Y8 kids aren't interested than I can't imagine Y5 kids would be. With my Y7s I give them £20k to spend on a common room - Playstations, TVs, sofas, table football, pool table, etc...

3. Give them things they are familiar with or that are tied in with simple practical tasks to enthuse them.
    Get them to set up a simple spreadsheet to record scores - a reaction timing test where they have to catch a ruler is easy enough.
    Do a 'guess the formula' type of maths exercise - 2 numbers and an answer, type in a simple add/subract/divide/multiply equation to get the same answer.
    Simple money conversion task tied in with buying stuff on a holiday - Euros would do, maybe tied to menu prices if you could get them. maybe from something familiar ie class all ordering food in a French mcdonalds?

4. Love this!! I've been looking for something to bridge Spreadsheets and Google sketch-up unit.... work out the costs of the common room then design it sounds excellent!!

5. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Thanks definitely some ideas I can go with.

6. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

There are lots of resources on teach-ict, including my 'find the elepant' game that makes for a fun starter - based on cell references.
    You could use a spreadsheet where cells have been coloured in to make the shape of an airplane. Then they could calculate revenue based on the number of economy/premium tickets sold.
    Measure everyone's height and calculate the mean, mode and average (cross-curriculum)
    Graph the correlation between height and shoe-size.

7. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I like the sound of the find the elephant game. Can you pop a link to it? I couldn't find it.