1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Spreadsheet the exciting way! How would you do so?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DREWPAL, Jan 18, 2012.

1. What are some of the ways in which you can teach Year 7 spreadsheet in an exciting way. MS Excel is the software being used.

2. pob1888

pob1888 New commenter

I have used Harry Plotter on 3 different KS3 groups and thrown a few of my own activities and its been a great success.

3. Apparantly all my teaching falls into the a category of "harmful" or "boring", so I wouldn't like to comment.

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

The Mafia zoo (or gangsta zoo) SoW on teach-ict.com is rather good [​IMG]

5. I give students in Y7 a virtual budget of £20k to set up their own common room for basic formulae and cell referencing. In Y8 we look at modelling (rather than simply spreadsheets) and we have some with preconfigured formulae for the paths of arrows, etc. and the students have to solve problems (like popping balloons).

6. I've posted some resourcesin theTES bank based on a spy theme. They get so much money to buy equipment and gadgets, then pimp out their own spy car. Will the have a Mini with rocket launchers and laser headlights or a Vanquish with a machine gun?
    Also covers areas such as absolute cell referencing, functions and formatting. My lot seem to like it!

7. I've had a lot of success teaching codebreaking alongside Excel with Year 7s. I tend to focus on features that make life a lot easier and elicit that 'wow' when you do it in Year 7, such as buttons/macros, The function icon, passwords, date/time, freeze panes, validation etc.

8. I like to ensure kids see what spreadsheets can do that they can't do more quickly or easily in their heads. The "wow" factor when a spreadsheet does literally thousands of "complicated" calculations in a second, getting the spreadsheet to do the hard work etc. I'm not a huge fan of sticking to a simple spreadsheet that they can do in their heads for an entire unit.

9. WillD

WillD New commenter

My first lesson, I do a game of Battleships, and have conditional formatting and if statements.

I know is sounds really advanced but, they love it and follow all of the instructions step by step, we create 2 10x10 grids the same one for thier pieces and one for thier bombing map, then they place their boats(3 each x 2 squares), subs (2x3), cruisers (2x4) and battleship (1x5) on thier grid by filling in the right number of squares with the right colours.

I do my own and shout the cell references out, then they take it in turn to try to sink my ships.

Me vs Them, I normally win as well.

10. I've written a nice HTML plenary for Battleships. The v1 of the file is at http://pastebin.ca/2104125 Just save the code as .html file and it should work - although there are 1 or 2 coding errors that I fixed in the PHP version!

11. Thanks for all your posts about how to teach spreadsheets to Year 7 in an interesting way. I still believe that the more that it is taught with some fun and liveliness included students will find the topic more interesting and make significant progress in the understanding of spreadsheets.

12. Get access to a site with a game like yeti sports where you hit the orca/penguin with a bat and measure how far it goes.

Working in pairs, each kid gets 10 goes and record each score in a pre-formatted worksheet

Unknown to them, you have already set up a line chart that automatically creates the line chart as they enter their scores. You can have multiple series of data to go head to head and sometimes you can even chart how performance improves then tails off with repetition of a task (clicking the mouse button at the right time

Add to this customising the chart (names/legends/titles/formatting etc) and then including functions to work out average(mean/median) scores, highest/lowest scores and use if functions to work out the winner, e.g.:

=IF(MAX(player1 score range)>MAX(player2 score range),"Player 1 is the winner!","Player 2 is the winner!"

Just a thought, but my class found it quite cool - make sure your net provider hasn't blocked the website! Either the or IT support hasn't blocked the use of macros in office documents that allow you to sneakily include flash games in them!!!