1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching spelling - spelling bank and support for spelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jemimapuddle-duck, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Have been looking through national strategies website and notice that Support for spelling was brought out about a year ago although I am still using spelling bank.
    Does anyone know if spelling bank is now considered 'out of date' or whether it is ok to keep using this alongside the new doct? It's just that I really like using the promethean flipcharts which are readily available for teaching objectives using spelling bank.
    What does everyone else do?
    Thanks. :)
    Jemima

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is ok to use whatever is best for your class. You are the professional, use whatever you think works for you in your class in your school.

None of the spelling things are statutory, so carry on if you are happy the children are learning to spell!.

3. I want to add that It's good to stay as relaxed about spelling as u possibly can. Young children invariably try to spell logically to begin with, applying the main English spelling patterns (frend, sed, Wensday, bild, tuch) which are perfectly legible although 'incorrect'.
    If they enjoy their English lessons and do a lot of reading and writing, they will adopt the 'correct' spellings themselves eventually, if they are capable of it.
    Everybody needs a grounding in phonics for about a year. After that, literacy teaching has to switch increasingly to appreciating and using English, and having fun with it.