1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Sex Education to Year 9: My First time...

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by lisbon_lion67, Sep 11, 2009.

1. I am teaching the sex education (puberty, reproduction, STDs) starting next week, and although I am competent with the subject knowledge, I'm not sure what sort of tone to set when teaching.
    Could you help me please?
    WHat do your Sex Education lessons feel like?
    What sort of atmosphere is ideal?
    What do you say at the start? What expectations/groundrules do you set?
    What do you do if someone can't behave appropriately?
    What do you do if someone starts asking personal questions?
    What do you do is someone starts relating very personal information?
    Have you got any interesting anecdotes that work well in class?

Any suggestions, comments, ideas, stories would be helpful.

2. Hi there, I was in the same situation as you last year so my starter was for them to shout out any slang words for sex/ body parts etc at the beginning so they could get them out....once theyve said them (once they've said them once they get over the silliness) I said in this lesson we wont use those words we will use sex, penis blah blah

We then drew up a "sex education class policy".... no laughing at people's views, respecting each other, the discussions not leaving the classroom etc. I typed it up and everyone signed it and we stuck it on the board so we would remember it.

I always gave a funny fact at the beginning of the lessons to lighen the mood...so google funny facts relating to sex etc
    As for personal questions i had a "question box" where pupile wrote questions on paper and put into the box and I would go throught the box and read and answered questions,,,and you can ignore silly questions that people put in.

My lessons went really welll so hope these ideas help

Linda

3. I've been teaching sex education to year 9s for quite a few years.

I totally agree with your other respondant in that they will try to shock you, so let them get all of the slang words out and show yourself as unflapable.
    It's also very important to set some guidelines. Get them to set the class rules not yourself, that way they own them.
    Government guidelines say that sex education should be taught in the context of relationships. I therefore always start off with some relationship lessons before flowing into the sex lessons. This way there is a natural progression and students feel more at ease.
    Personally I have found that SRE lessons need to be light and good humoured. I always find some students in every year who are simply not able to talk about anything to do with sex. Doing the lesson in a light hearted manner lessens the intensity.
    I would also say that the lessons should be as experiential and practical as possble. There are some excel;lent interactive games and resources available. Simply standing at the front and teaching sex is not good PSHE teaching. There really are some great SRE resources out there and I am quite happy to recommend some...but your school PSHEE lead should have some surely.
    I have never had students misbehave or be too inappropriate in a SRE lesson, They are usually quite happy to study this subject as they clearly think it relevant and interesting.
    Personally I do not think that you should ever give personal details of your own sex life or relationships when teaching SRE. If they ask sucg questions then bounce them back. Although teaching SRE effecvtively you will need to become more part of the class you are still the professional and the teacher.
    Using shock works well. Some good pictures of STDs downloaded from the internet usually shuts up even the most cocky student. I have often found that those who think they know it all about SRE really don't and soon become quiet.
    Beware of the students who are finding the subject uneasy. There will be some who don't want to particia[pte.
    I have aften taught SRE to year 9 in a circle, getting all of the desks and chairs to the edge of the room. This creates a less formal setting and also can put the cocky ones less at ease as they have to be part of a group.
    If a student starts to relate sensitive information then quite simply stop them and suggest that they talk about this with you after the lesson. make sure that this is followed up. make sure that you are aware of your school confidentiality policy when dealing with such issues.
    I do hope that your school PSHE lead has given you guidance and some lesson plans. It is not up to you to devise all of the lessons. Good SRE teaching is not easy. Also be aware that your science department should be teaching the anotomy side in their syllabus and you don't need to reproduce this. Your lessons should also build upon any SRE lessons taught to the students in year 8. Fine out what they have done already.
    Above all though, look forward to the lessons, I have always found them to be some of the best.

hope this helps

JPBRCB

4. Hi
    Thanks for your suggestions - really helpful - I have had a lot of experience in teaching SRE but would really like to see what you recommend as games/interactive websites as this year I am teaching students with special needs - EBD and Learning difficulties and will need every resource I can find :eek:) We are pretty much left to ourselves in a special needs school but have found some great leaflets from the FPA.
    Jo