1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching sentence punctuation

Discussion in 'English' started by Joannanna, Feb 17, 2013.

1. No, using "and" or other conjuctions would be progress! The older ones can read properly constructed sentences but many of the younger ones have a tendency to miss out words or parts of words when they read. Why do you ask?

2. It often seems to be a feature of 'impulsiveness'. They show a desire to say as much as possible and getting the message out take precedence over the structure of it. Sometimes it helps to write it twice, once for the message and then to 'format' it properly. Unfortunately, once it's on paper they will generally think it is finished.

3. Speaking of missing punctuation, I have always learned and taught that one needs one before a "but", Airy. I know I don't know much, but I know that much! [​IMG]

4. I think it is much more of a consequence of just writing as they speak and not reading considering how flawed the spelling system is and how contrived the notion of reading is in English. Sure, impulsivity will exacerbate matters, but compare how adults are completely reneging on their responsibility of improving things, I think it is poetic justice at work.Why would some kids need to improve things, if adults aren't! Of course, kids must be so frustrated with spelling words correctly in the first place that they might not have enough juice to punctuate their sentences properly.Who could blame then! Well, only the ones who are pointing fingers the other way, I suppose! If people cannot see the irony in all of this, I do!

5. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Can someone explain to me why there are posts deleted? Have I missed something? Is it because of abusive posts? There does not seem to be any explanation for this and I am just curious what criteria moves a post to be deleted.

6. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

rickoshay is a one trick spelling reform pony - with insults.
    Getting punctuation right - try dictation. I did this with Yr 7 before half term. The spelling was rubbish, but most of the punctuation was spot on. I pointed out that they clearly did know how to punctuate and I wouldn't tolerate them choosing not to.

7. Oh! One more empty and unsubstantiated one-liner from Mr. Genius!
    BTW, YOUR punctuation is disturbing lax. Do you actually know how to use -. The last time I checked it replaces a bracket.
    You write: "Getting punctuation right - try dictation."
    It should be: "Getting punctuation right? Try dictation!" or "Getting punctuation right, try dictation." Not sure what you are writing though because, as I said, the punctuation is rather lax, and I am being polite!
    "The spelling was rubbish!" Ah! You finally agree! [​IMG] On second reading, I don't think so! BTW, Mr. Genius, you have to train the speech recognition software. It worked very well when I did it. Of course, I don't speak like a taxi driver from Bermondsey.
    You pointed to them that "clearly they did not know how to punctuate", but "most the punctuation was spot on"! I am confused!

8. I'm talking about pieces of writing which have been redrafted at least once and children aged from 11 to 18. They are abiding by the principles they (think) were taught in Primary - good writing involves lots of commas and that the purpose of commas is to allow you to take a breath. The brighter ones listen to Mircosoft Word when they redraft and you end up with writing littered with semi-colons as that's the automatic "fix" for a comma splice.

9. I have been toying with this. What sort of texts do you use?

10. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Something they have already read - and no warning.

11. In your humble opinion, is the new generation of British kids more or less arrogant and pompous than the current generation?
    BTW, you are still misusing the dash, but some people like to walk with a piece of toilet paper sticking out of their pants! I guess you never make any errors! You would make a fantastic Dorante in "Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme"! Are you a Brit?

12. Airy, this sentence doesn't need a dash; it needs a colon. Check it... out!
    Your bright kids listen to Microsoft? Are you sure that those are your brightest kids? [​IMG]
    BTW, that's Microsoft, not Mircosoft!
    Personally I would have used comma around your "which" clause:
    I'm talking about pieces of writing, which have been redrafted at least once, and children aged from 11 to 18.

13. The idea must have come from somewhere.
    http://www.educationquizzes.com/ks3/english/punctuation-commas-to-separate-clauses-01/

14. Make that: "Personally, I would have used comma around your "which" clause:"

15. Don't you love the level of incompetence? No periods! UN-BUH-LIE-VU- BUL(L)!

16. Ta. I think I will give it a go. Nothing else seems to work.

17. Clearly. Sadly, because they understand that more that "give structure to sentences", it's the only bit they remember.

18. Are you too proud to admit that you make errors, Airy? Fess up!

19. Gruoch, you are very good at pointing errors, but when it comes to admitting that you messed up, you are not as forthright! Why? Are you too proud to admit that you made an error or two?

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

Flap away at the window all you like, rick - there's garlic strewn all around it so you'll not get in.