1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching sentence punctuation

Discussion in 'English' started by Joannanna, Feb 17, 2013.

1. He will be learning a lot about English, though.

2. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

[​IMG]

3. Or maybe not! [​IMG]

4. I was one of those students who learnt punctuation through voracious reading when I was younger but can never remember being taught it explicitly in school.
    It was therefore something I was quite clueless about when I retrained as a teacher years later. I was sent on a course run by Geoff Barton - I think it was called grammar without tears.
    It was great. I am not sure if he is still leading these (this was about ten years ago!) but I know all of the resources and powerpoints from his courses are in the teacher resource section of his website. I found it very useful.

5. Facetious

Facetious New commenter

I can highly recommend a book I found in The Works a couple of days ago. It's from the 'Dummies' Guide' series: The Dummies' Guide to English Grammar'. Initially I bought it because I love a resource I can dip in an out of, but I'm thinking of recommending it as a good buy for my Y10s. Each section is clearly explained, and there are examples you can use in your own activities.

I don't know what the answer is to the whole SPaG issue, but I've taught sentence structure until I'm blue in the face and, even though the kids will complete the activities accurately, the little swines just will not transfer the skills to their everyday work. I make the lessons as fun as possible and the kids end up remembering the lesson but never the skill itself. I'm thinking of turning to violence and 50s style teaching, but doubt I'd be able to retain my job for long. Ho hum.

6. Facetious

Facetious New commenter

I missed the initial ' before the title of the book. Self-flagellation ensues.

7. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

I'm finding the whole rickoshay drama thoroughly thrilling! What's the to-do? Much as I adore punctuation and grammar (and believe me, I'm in the Grammar Police and I have my Superintendent's badge, so I get truly engrossed in these kinds of threads), I find myself intrigued by the gagging order!

8. It's a re-run of the Plains of Abraham. If we lose we have to have something like the Academie Francais to tell us what words we are allowed and how to spell them.

9. You already lost, Fremlin, and a long, long time ago. You don't remember William at the Battle of Hastings! That's the French guy and his friends who started the long process of messing up English.
    I would like to point out to you that you have finally got it. Look how you spelled "Francaise": no "e" and no cedilla! You are actually following the rules of the English spelling system because YOU do pronounce final consonant letters and French people don't! You did not use the cedilla either because English doesn't use it! Maybe there is hope! Maybe you will see the light someday! Deregulation has never worked in economics or in linguistics. Languages are a mess, including the French language. However, in that competition, English is the king of them all. It is a *** language that has a flawed spelling system because no one regulated it. I guess we don't need any police in your society?
    There is something rotten in the state of the English language!
    A spelling system has rules and should have a certain logic. Should we start to use bolts of different size to build bridges?

10. Not too much of a stretch to think that you are part of the spelling police too, I presume then! So, when are you going to enforce those rules? Let's just say that you --and your predecessors-- have been asleep at the wheel for about 300 years or so. Is it incompetence, ignorance, laziness, that artistic licence,... What is it that you feel no one has to to respect rules? I just don't get it! There are rules, spelling rules! When are you going to enforce them? Grammar! YA! Punctuation! YA! Spelling! NO! That's sums it up! Did you guys failed Logic 101! What is the % of women in the profession in England? This might explain that!
    And, what do you like to gag on? [​IMG]
    No order is your MO?

11. I am genuinely interested in finding out this. Let's call this "The Case of the Missing Comma"!

12. I'm tutoring a year six boy who has been taught that commas bring sentences together so his sentences are endless: "I want to the shops, I bought three Mars bars, I ate them very quickly because I was hungry, my mum was cross" I'm finding it difficult to explain to him how commas work in a way that he understands...

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, that's incorrect for a start. Commas link items in a list or clauses not sentences.At the end of a sentence he needs a full stop.
    Time to go back to basics with full stops and capital letters.
    BBC bitesize KS1 has some resources as do many other sites.( If I post links this post will go to moderation, so I'll just suggest you try dooing a quick serach yourself. )

14. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Most of my Yr 7s have been taught the same.
    They are still doing it in Yr 11. What you get taught early sticks, unfortunately (when it's wrong).

15. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

It can stick with them till they're teachers, teaching that sentences make complete sense and that grammatical subjects are doing the actions of the verbs. And so on...

16. My entire school does that. They express great surprise when I object to it in S1 but never quite lose the habit.

17. I suspect the poster knew that!

18. Ask him to write as usual and then ask him to replace all the commas with a period and add capital letters after them. If he writes his work on the computer, he could use the "find and replace" function too. Dooes he have a problem separating dep. and main clauses too?

19. It seems to be the next step on from using 'and' between these short sentences. Can they read properly constructed sentences?

20. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

It's because they are taught they can use a comma instead of 'and'. I would hope that the teaching is actually 'in lists'.