1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching School behind with the times

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MrMedia, Nov 7, 2017.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

So I was chatting to a former colleague and updating him on up to date practice I was seeing on my visits..

Whole class feedback systems with codes designed to minimise teacher workload
    No grading of teachers in lesson obs
    The rethinking of learning walks to create positive outcomes for staff and pupils
    The new ofsted question on workload and school initiatives

And this is genuinely a positive picture. These schools are all embracing the need to attract and retain good teachers.

And he said at his outstanding teaching school (7 years since last inspection)

They are still triple marking every other week in coloured pens
    Graded lesson observations
    Those grades form part of performance management

And this is a teaching school. And it made me think - where is the infrastructure to ensure these teaching schools are up to date? And how is it they are so out of date? Surely they should be leading the way in this sort of thing?

chelsea2 likes this.
  2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Mr Media, I think any sensible person realizes that Ofsted's outstanding grade is a complete joke. If it genuinely meant anything very few schools would be awarded it. That's what outstanding means: standing head and shoulders above the vast majority.

Go to You-tube and have an enjoyable listen to There lived a kIng, from Gilbert & Sullivan's Gondoliers.

The song explains it well.

MrMedia likes this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Maybe this is a clue???;)

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

I of course don’t disagree, but they are a teaching school. Not just an outstanding school but a designated 'show others how to do it' school. And they must be standing in front of a stream of money happily gorging on the funds.

Is perhaps the model of 'teaching school' in the era of MATs now out of date? In my experience, those schools which struggle to recruit are the ones pioneering new methods designed to make the school an attractive streamlined and well managed workplace. This means well thought out policies for both children and teachers. Turnover is quite possibly the best indicator of the standard of school is some ways.

SomethingWicked likes this.