1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Salary in Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by charmw, Feb 6, 2012.

1. charmw

charmw New commenter

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is an acceptable teaching salary to accept in Qatar? I am a secondary English teacher who has been teaching for 2 years.
    Thanks

2. charmw

charmw New commenter

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is an acceptable teaching salary to accept in Qatar? I am a secondary English teacher who has been teaching for 2 years.
    Thanks

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I'm not really good at this, but I would suspect something around 10,000 per month. There will certainly be schools that pay less than that, and while those might not be very good schools, they might be worth looking into if you don't have better options.
    Yes, you can live on 10,000, assuming that accommodation, yearly flights, medical are all covered elsewhere in the package. You can actually live pretty well on that. If you don't save anything or send money home for a mortgage, it'll be a pretty fun lifestyle. But if you want to save, or do lots of travel, you'll have to make choices. For a family of four living a reasonable lifestyle, neither modest nor extravagent, our teachers say local expenses run around 7-8,000 a month. But on top of that, you'd want to put away some each month toward vacation travel, retirement, etc. Just the travel savings component, again for a family of 4, can run 3,000 per month if you're going home every vacation, and mostly staying with friends/family (not in a hotel).
    Hippo might have better numbers about what a salary might be with your credentials.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Did someone call for me?
    Oh yes, salaries. Well, there are some teachers in Doha on 8,000QR a month or even less, but really 9,000 or 10,000 is probably the norm for a young teacher with only two years of experience. Yes, there are some schools that might even pay as much as 14,000, even if you are just a humble class teacher, but perhaps you would not have much chance of getting a job there if you did not have more experience. It more or less goes without saying that there are fewer vacancies at the better-paying schools because the teachers tend to stay a lot longer, whereas there are always masses of vacancies, even half-way through August, at some schools.
    Usually Mrs Hippo and I can live fairly comfortably on what she earns from her music teaching, so that means that my salary goes straight into the bank and stays there! The really big expense that often soaks the cash is travelling. If you fly back to the UK for Christmas and then go somewhere else for Easter, then you are not going to save an awful lot.

5. The alternative, not going home at Christmas or staying in Doha during Easter wouldn't float my canoe. Of course, you would get the 7/8 week summer hols.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hippos sometimes overturn canoes and knock their occupants into the water.
    On a slightly more serious note, FP, yes, it is true that Egypt is a fantastic holiday destination and Qatar isn't. You don't need to rub it in, old chap. However, it is not all bad news in Doha and there are a few things to do. One can usually while away the time fairly pleasantly until the term starts again. The new Islamic Art Museum is great and Souq Waqif, although it is not quite in the same league as Khan Al Kalili, is okay for a wander, a sheesha and a coffee.