1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Romeo and Juliet, or Macbeth. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'English' started by VeronicAmb, Mar 21, 2012.

1. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

My soon-to-be English department will be discussing soon on what to teach year 9, set 1 and 2 for their KS4 Lit exam. We've decided that year 9, set 1 and 2 will start their English Language and Literature early, studying it for three years. Anyway, We're torn between teaching Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. My new school has a mixture of teachers who know both the plays and have been teaching them for an amount of years. I however, have only taught Macbeth once. Nonetheless, I really do want to teach it again, but I don't know what to do!

Out school has had good results from teaching those plays, and the history of the track-record is suburb for set 1 and 2 KS4 for studying those plays.

What are your thoughts on teaching these plays and which one did you like to teach the most?

2. VeronicAmb

My soon-to-be English department will be discussing soon on what to teach year 9, set 1 and 2 for their KS4 Lit exam. We've decided that year 9, set 1 and 2 will start their English Language and Literature early, studying it for three years. Anyway, We're torn between teaching Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. My new school has a mixture of teachers who know both the plays and have been teaching them for an amount of years. I however, have only taught Macbeth once. Nonetheless, I really do want to teach it again, but I don't know what to do!

Out school has had good results from teaching those plays, and the history of the track-record is suburb for set 1 and 2 KS4 for studying those plays.

What are your thoughts on teaching these plays and which one did you like to teach the most?

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Why not let teachers teach the plays they prefer? I've taught both a number of times and would be happy teaching either next year but like to do something different every year. We all choose our own texts avoiding those preferred by teachers who do Shakespeare for A' Level (currently 'Hamlet' and 'Othello'.

4. sianna

sianna New commenter

I totally agree. Both texts are great and different teachers have different preferences.
    I've taught both texts several times and have found that students tend to prefer one over the other too so maybe take this into consideration as well.

5. VeronicAmb

I can't do this, because of the budget of ordering SOWs, texts etc. Plus, it's for the exam, so I would of liked just to let the whole year group study one Shakespeare text, so when it comes to next year, I won't have the same problem.

6. sianna

sianna New commenter

I'm glad I don't work in your department. I hate being told what to teach, although I'd be happy to teach either of these plays. I wouldn't want to teach the same play again the following year either as I like variety and I find that if I do the same text the following year my teaching isn't as good as first time round.

7. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Looking at the OP's range of ideas, grammar and sentence structure, I don't think he or she is a teacher.

8. sianna

sianna New commenter

Agreed. I thought the same thing myself.

9. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

And I certainly hope not. The post on media studies is virtually incomprehensible.