1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching role in early years?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by therumpus, Apr 19, 2012.

1. I have posted this in the primary section, so I hope it's not a problem if I post it over here - I figure this may reach different people?

Does anyone have any ideas of how you would introduce the idea of role to early years classes?

I'm having the kids do an emotion orchestra and then a guided activity that they take on a role, but I need to do a quick introduction to role itself.

I'm nowhere near a drama teacher - in my whole degree, I've done five hours of drama!! Any assistance for short activities teaching 'role' skills would be FANtastic.

(Sorry about the spacing - it never works properly for me!)

2. I have posted this in the primary section, so I hope it's not a problem if I post it over here - I figure this may reach different people?

Does anyone have any ideas of how you would introduce the idea of role to early years classes?

I'm having the kids do an emotion orchestra and then a guided activity that they take on a role, but I need to do a quick introduction to role itself.

I'm nowhere near a drama teacher - in my whole degree, I've done five hours of drama!! Any assistance for short activities teaching 'role' skills would be FANtastic.

(Sorry about the spacing - it never works properly for me!)

3. Can I make a suggestion? Get hold of a copy of 'Infant Drama' by Ronald James. You can get it secondhand on Amazon. It is a little old fashioned but if you are not a drama teacher or have little experience of Infant drama it will give you a simple and easy way in. It also offers a model for lessons that you can easily adapt. The crucial thing for a drama teacher is that they feel comfortable and confident in what they are teaching - this book is a 'comfy' way in.