1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Religious education in Catholic schools

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by Girl on Fire, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Can anyone tell me or suggest what to read. I intend to teach in a catholic school. Want to get organised, all suggestions welcome.

2. Can anyone tell me or suggest what to read. I intend to teach in a catholic school. Want to get organised, all suggestions welcome.

3. Have you been accepted onto a course yet Girl? If you have, congratulations. If you have a place at Glasgow, even better cos you automatically have the option to do your catholic teaching certificate if you are a catholic.
    If neither of these apply, I recommend you have a look at the Scottish Catholic Education website and read the Catholic Teachers Charter so you know what is expected of you - here's the link:
    http://www.sces.uk.com/teaching/approval.asp

You can also look at the University of Glasgow's website to get some information and contacts about the catholic teaching certificate, as this is the only place in Scotland you can gain this qualification, either alongside your PGDE/BEd or by distance learning if you qualify at another university. If you have any more quaestions, email the RE department at Glasgow, they are very helpful and should be able to guide you in the right direction. Hope this helps!

4. Thanks Leesey, Yes and yes. Got my confirmation in for Glasgow Uni after gaining the Maths qualification I needed. Thanks for the link and the other info much appreciated.

5. Hey Girl on Fire I intend to teach at a catholic school also and am doing the same qualification - I also live in the EK area too.

Leesey thanks again for that link.

It will be a great help

Pamx

6. Hi Tambi,

How do you intend to get there. I have three young girls and desperately trying to arrange childcare, so dont know after dropping them whether to - bus it, rail it, drive, drive and park?????

If anyone else out there has any advice please freel free.....

7. Hi Leesay,

I have posted this question but I have not had any replis yet.

Q - What was you typical routine like at Glasgow uni during the one year PGDE, i.e start time, finish time free time, where you in 5days a week etc

Q - When did you find out what group yo would be in?

Q - Was it ok generally?

8. Hi Girl on Fire -

My email address is tambi26@hotmail.co.uk and my mob is 07885987568 - if you want to call for a chat before we start.

I was thinking about getting the train and then the underground up - or even possibly driving to shields road and then getting underground up.

Let me know your thoughts - I would definately be up for meeting you the 1st day and travel in together.

Pam

9. 1. Typical routine is 9-5 every day exept your study day, which is usually a Wednesday or a Thursday. You might have a few breaks in between classes, I had a 4 hour gap between classes on a Monday!
    2. You find out on your induction day what group you're in, and what your timetable will be, as well as what your study day is.
    3. It was definitely ok! I really loved my time at Glasgow, you'll have a great time :eek:)

About parking though, there is very limited parking around the St Andrews building, and the parking that is there can get quite expensive if you are in faculty all day. I got the train and subway for the first half of the year, then took the car for the second half. Kelvinbridge station is just across the road, very handy.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

10. It might be a help to specify if you're looking for primary or secondary advice Girl on Fire.

From your comment about Maths, I can only assume Primary??
    This topic could apply to either Primary or secondary and these forums are mixed.

11. Having been accused of being pompus amoungst other things on another post, I am hesitant to ask but please I am interested only from curiosity and perhaps a little ignorance.

Religous Education in a catholic school. How does that work, I assume all or at least most pupils are practicing catholics. Do you teach only catholithism(sp) or do you teach other religions with a footnote that these are wrong.

PLease note I am a nonbeliever in all religions, but I am more than happy for anyone to follow whatever religion they choose. I am just interested.

12. I can only speak for Secondary, wherer there is no religious instruction as such. The pupils are given chances to explore moral issues from a Monotheistic perspective, i.e. Islam, Judaism, Christianity.

There is then the bit where we say "As Catholics we believe this" but frankly, with so few catholics in Catholic schools, it feels like lip service.

Primary, I think involves a lot more - learning prayers, about each religion, teaching respect, as well as preparing any Catholic pupils for the communion. But I'm not sure.

13. Each to their own. Dont want this to get into a "religious debate"

I am aware of the level of r.e. as it is taught in school as two of my children attend a catholic school, which also makes children aware of other religions ie muslim, buddism, jewish amongst a few. I was merely asking a question from an academic/study point of view, which I am glad to say Leesly has answered.

14. "Each to their own."
    Not really. There's a curriculum to follow at both Primary and Secondary levels.

"Dont want this to get into a "religious debate"

I don't see how it is. You still haven't specified if you are talking about Primary or Secondary (just left it to guess work) and so i viewed the thread. I found it interesting and I offered the secondary viewpoint.

15. I do believe Girl On Fire is talking about primary, which is why i replied to this post, as I have no experience of secondary RE whatsoever.
    For those who are unsure of what RE is taught in RC primary schools, children are encouraged in every way to follow the catholic ethos, although not all children in the school have to be catholic. There are prayers every day, and sometimes mass. It is very much about the ethos rather than 'catholics do this, catholics do that', and it is a very nicely structured way to run a school in my opinion (im not catholic but I had most of my placements in catholic schools). Re is taught a few times a week, and normally consists of the Alive O religious education programme, which is just about stories in the bible and how it affects our lives and all that. At other times, perhaps once a term or once a year even, the children learn about Other Wordly Religions, such as Islam, Judaism and Sikhism. These are not taught in a way that suggests these religions are *wrong* but they are taught in a matter of fact way to show what other people may believe in. At no time is it suggested that these religions are *wrong*.
    Girl on fire, you will get all the resources you need once you go to school for teaching RE, Alive O books are different for every year group, but you are on the right track reading up on what is expected of teachers in catholic schools.
    Sam - dont feel bad about being intrigued by this, its actually very interesting the way things are run in a catholic school and I'm all for it, even tho I like you am not a religious person. The biggest difference in a catholic primary school is first communion for the P4s, but apart from that, it's just generally a good ethos for values and respect and so on.
    Hope these have answered more of your questions!

16. Hi Leesey,
    Again thanks. I wholeheartedly agree with your comments regarding the ethos of teaching re in Catholic schools. To me personally it is very special. It is interesting that you found it positive also.

Evil twin- Just for the record I am referring to Primary, although I would have thought that someone like you who is obviously on the ball would have sussed that. I am also aware of other religions and when I referred to "each to their own" I was referring to the likes of you and Sam and in general adults not necessary teachers in their professional capacity.

Sam - I also find other religions and beliefs interesting and would never suggest any are "wrong"

17. Girl on Fire

Is there a breakfast club at the girls' school? It might be worth booking places on that just for your own peace of mind (if you can afford it). My kids aren't too keen on their breakfast club because it's in a tiny wee hall but it's the only way I can do this job without panicking every morning or feeling like I'm over using everyone's kindness in helping me with my childcare!!

18. Ambedale,
    I so know what you mean. The whole idea of pre/ after school has not been received well at all and I feel so guilty!! The P7 thinks it is not cool. And the two wee ones think I dont care about them!!??

I cannot get them into this club which incidently has a breakie club, I am now looking at childminders. Nice to know I am not alone on this one!!

19. If you feel uncomfortable about choosing the right childminder, think about paying a friend to do it. I was always a bit wary of trusting someone just because they were on the council's registered childminders list.

Before we moved house I had a very good friend collect my kids 2 days a week. I insisted on paying her for doing this (although it wasn't a lot). I found it much easier because I was paying her to pick them up so I didn't have that 'I'm abusing her good nature' feeling you can get when your a mum and people are helping you out and it also meant that it became more like a service. She still had my youngest over to play at the weekend because that was outside our arrangement. I had to fight with her to get her to accept the money initially because I didn't want her just to do it out of the goodness of her heart but it ended up working out well all round and we kept it up for 2 years until, as I said, I moved house.

Good luck!

20. Please be careful about paying a friend to watch your children.Anyone who cares for a child who is not a relative for more than 2 hours for reward must be registered as a childminder. If you use a registered childminder you can get Child Tax Credits if you qualify. All childminders have to go through a strigent registration process with the Care Commission and they have to meet the same standards as Nurseries and early years centres do. The Care Commission regulate them, and you should be able to see their last inspection report. You should also ask to see a copy of their policies and their insurance/public liability certificate. A good childminder will also be available when needed and should not let you down, friends on the other hand can sometimes leave you in the lurch.
    Sorry if this sounds scary but I worked with childminders for a number of years and the majority are excellent early years workers.