1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Reflex Action - BLP

Discussion in 'Science' started by danieloakes1, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Hi all.
    I was wondering did anyone have any good ideas on how to teach 'Reflex Action' AQA biology B1a 1.2. I am a PGCE student and am just taking over my year 10 class fully. I am going to explain reflex action i.e. actions without using the brain and maybe do a human card sort type activity.
    I was wondering does anyone have any other ideas? As I am being observed by the headteacher as part of the schools push on 'Building Learning Power' and was wondering if anyone knows of any other ways to make the lesson more interesting and interactive.
    Daniel

2. yes, make your class into a mexican wave reflex arc - they love it!
    1. set the students up in a circle.
    2. Stand one student next to a bunsen burner (not switched on!), give them a meter ruler with a blown up latex glove taped to the end. This student will shout "stimulus" and "recpetor" as they touch the bunsen with the glove
    3. Give the other students the name of other neurons, eg first set sensory, then a set of relay, then a set of motor. These students shout the name of their neuron iindividually
    4. the student with the meter stick hand then shouts "effector"
    5. To finish all of the class shout "response" while the star student removes the hand from the bunsen
    Use a timer to time their fastest reflex arc time
    rules: each student shout their part after the previous student finishes and NOT at the same time
    I usually run this in parallel classes and time the students for the whole exercise with a prize for the quickest reponse. The students love interactive competitions like this.
    It teaches them the order of the reflex arc, but also shows them how quickly nerve impulses work.
    Obviously, once they have done it they can swap jobs and do it again!!

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I like that stusing100 - I'll try it this week.
    I always do a knee-jerk reflex demo too, get a volunteer to sit on a bench cross-legged with one knee above the other. Always seem to find one pupil with a really good response in a group of about 5 candidates (equally some are rubbish) - I use a rubber headed mallet, you need to practise first though to make sure you know what you're doing.

4. I've got a circus of experiments that I do if you pm me your email I will send you the lesson I do. It's for edexcel but think it should work perfectly for you.
    Love your idea stusing100 I will def be doing that next time I teach reflexes shame I have already done it this year

5. penny_corp

penny_corp New commenter

Hello!
    I am also a PGCE-er and I taught reflex arcs for the first time a few months back. I had a bit of a tricky group so I started the lesson with a clip of Mary Shelleys Frankenstein (you can get it on youtube), the bit where are the electricity gets switched on and he comes alive. And then link that to nerves carrying electrical impulses. The other thing I did was give pairs two pins and a cork, they put the pins into the cork far apart and then very close together and stroke them along their skin (forearm, palm, fingertip) and see if they can feel one pin or two pins. When the pins are close together they should feel only one on their forearm but two on their fingertips. Ask why, get them to come up with nerves and such.
    Hope this helps

6. Please send me the lesson on teaching reflx. cpchemteacher@live.com

7. Hi, any chance you can send me any resources on reflex actions as well?
    thank you [​IMG]
    shabz59@hotmail.co.uk

8. The BBC have a great game google BBC sheep dash which I always use, it gives you scores and times too so you can do work on data if you want, can't share the link as iPad won't do flash.