1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Reception and Year 1 mixed class...anybody else struggling?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Clarahand, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Clarahand

Clarahand New commenter

HELP!! My class is a mixed reception/year 1 and I am struggling to find a balance between delivering Reception aims and year 1 curriculum. My job share and I have 1 regular TA and others who cover afternoons in class. We aim to get phonics and writing and maths done in the mornings. Does anyone have any tips about how to manage the 2 very different age groups (y1 focus being writing at the moment) I would appreciate any feedback! We have 20 Rec and 11 low ability yr1s.

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Ihave a class of mixed nursery, reception and year 1. Nursery aside, we do main input for a short time with reception and y1, then send rec off to CP. An adult then joins in with objective led planning (abcdoes.com) this is where we follow up what the children have been taught. Year one stay on the carpet and continue a little more indepth before going to a follow up activity. Sometimes I stay with them, sometimes I go to reception. We always do phonics first thing in the morning so we don't get absorbed in other stuff and forget to do it!

I agree it is very difficult as the two different key stages have quite different styles of delivery. However, I have always felt that y1 need to be working in EYFS style for a significant part of the year.

Have a look at Alistair Bryce Cleggs website ( above) as that has ideas that can help you deliver things in a way that suits yeargroups.

As far as what we do in the morning we do it similar to you, phonics, reading, writing and maths in the morning, other stuff in the afternoon.