1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching reading scales to year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fuffybunny, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I am planning my unit for after half term and one of the objectives is reading scales - how can I make this really exciting without just giving them a worksheet with loads of scales to read!!!
    Sorry if I sound thick - just need some inspiration!
    [​IMG]

2. I am planning my unit for after half term and one of the objectives is reading scales - how can I make this really exciting without just giving them a worksheet with loads of scales to read!!!
    Sorry if I sound thick - just need some inspiration!
    [​IMG]

3. Find loads of 'real' stuff which have scales. Even an analogue clock has a form of scales - some obvious (hours) and some 'hidden' (minutes/seconds).
    Reading scales can be really enjoyable when you show the stuff in real life which includes scale reading.
    This also raises different things that we measure: weight, capacity, time, length, area, termperature and so on.
    Once the children get the idea, ask them to think 'what else' has scales such as car dash boards (as it is unlikely that you could take a dash board into the classroom!)

4. Thank you - Would you do all of the different ways in the same lessons? or capacity scale reading one lessons...length the next?
    I teach year 2 by the way!

5. anyone else???[​IMG]

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

OK, I'm not a primary teacher, (originally secondary science and maths) but having looked at the numeracy curriculum for a level 2 and level 3, it looks like you need to do quite a bit about units of measurement as well as the actual scale reading.
    I think it would take quite a while to get all this material into a child's head clearly and in an interesting fashion so they could do it, understand it, apply it etc.
    In primary you have the luxury of being able to bring numeracy in across the curriculum so you have less time constraint on the maths than might appear at first sight.
    I'm not being specific here, but I would have thought you could do all of this in both a practical and theoretical way in maths, science, geography, art, pe etc.
    I am wondering when my own year 2 child is going to do any of this ....... I think I might do it at half term myself and then I'll let you know if I have any great ideas.

7. We link it go Geography and a week of weather watching (reading the temperature off a thermometer). Also introduces reading negative numbers for the higher potential Level 3s in the class.