1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching RE in the inclusion unit

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by GreyHam, Oct 18, 2011.

1. I'm currently teaching a few small groups in our schools inclusion unit. I have a year 9 and year 11 group who have behavioural issues and a year 10 nurture group which is mainly made up of vulnerable students.

So far things have been going ok all things considered, but a couple of major issues have been coming up

1) One group have shown a complete disinterest in learning about Islam, which is the 'one other religion' we study. The lesson turned into a tirade of racial abuse from a couple of students. For me, it's all the more reason to carry on (and justifies why we do RE in the first place, trying to combat this sort of thing) but I feel like I need to pull of something special just to get them to a basic level of tolerance. Any advice on how to deal with prejudice and discrimination issues with a group that comes from an area that is 95% white?

2) The nurture group have VERY diverse needs, and a few are sporadic attenders. They also have very different attainment levels from barely literate to relatively high. I'm struggling with pacing as some students work much faster and more independently than others. My first instinct is to go with differentiated worksheets, but I was hoping for some other suggestions (so that this year isn't just spent creating and teaching from sheets!)

thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

there was a BBC documentary along the lines of 'i am white?' showed most people have a degree of 'alien' family tree outside the typical white history they would expect.

Look at some art work (banksy and street are are very in) and approach the whole concept from a different angle
    Poverty
    [​IMG]
    Prejudice
    [​IMG]
    Have a look at the primary aimed philosophy for children. Some very good ideas there that you could develop

3. I would personally hit on how they can be discrimianted against first. Get them on the floor and drawing around each other on old wallpaper and then labelling it with- only 1 teenager allowed in ashop at once, hoodies+ knife weilding gangsters, weight, height, academic ability, disability - as many ways as they can think of as possible and then get them to think how that makes them feel.

Then look at it from the other perspective - put yourself in the shoes of ...

4. Something tells me this approach may lead to unexpectedly lively lessons.

5. ...but seriously, I would do something really powerful, for example, look at the images of the reformed white supremacist who went through serious pain to get his facial tattoos removed - some great pictures on the Daily Mail website and elsewhere on the internet. I would explore ideas like how people can change, how we judge people from what they look like, etc.