1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Primary swimming

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by fourleafclover, Jan 13, 2016.

1. fourleafclover

fourleafclover New commenter

Hi,

We have recently just started taking our classes swimming. Neither myself or any of the other teachers or TAS have had any kind of training to teach swimming but are expected to teach groups of around 14 children. I was just wondering if this was the norm? Do teachers and HLTAS all around the country have to teach swimming with no prior training? I'm not a good swimmer myself so I'm worried that I wont be teaching them correctly!

Thanks in advance

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I would think that there are a raft of Health and Safety issues within the situation you describe.

It is a shame that the school sees it as acceptable that non-experienced teachers are doing swimming, but unfortunately public funds result in there being little alternative in many cases.

I know that, if I were asked to teach Music I would have the same type of concerns (H&S aside).

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We are not allowed to teach swimming without completing a 3 day training course which we update every 5 years, teaching without a qualification is a no-no in my authority.

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Does the school/authority not employ a pool based qualified swimming teacher ? That was the norm in the authority I worked in. If there is a qualified teacher/instructor there can they not give you some guidance as to which group you would be better working with and what to do with them? Does your school have access to the Amateur Swimming Association's teaching book "The Teaching of Swimming"?
    Agreed one should check Union guidelines re the teaching/monitoring of swimming groups.
    Does the pool have an employed lifeguard on duty during lesson times? If there is no swim teacher employed and the school class teachers are the only adults there then I am sure that should be the case as someone has to have a Pool Lifeguard minimum lifesaving qualification at least.
    I have been a PE teacher and in addition have taught swimming extensively over the years ( am an ASA Advanced Swimming teacher) Should you need any practical advice re lessons/teaching message me and I would try to help.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have our own pool so need a qualified ( as in swimming qualification) teacher and a lifeguard ( all our TAs have lifeguard qualifications), schools that use the local swimming pool have the use of a lifeguard and a swimming instructor but, I believe, the class teacher is usually asked to "take" the better swimmers under the instruction of the pool instructor. There is no way I would take a swimming class without either a qualification or someone who knows what they are doing!