1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Primary School Internationally with Secondary Training

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ecair, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ecair

ecair New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Despite having a PGCE in Secondary English, I'm currently in Italy teaching half a timetable of Middle School English but sharing a Grade 5 class where I teach all subjects. The inital plan was that as the school expanded I would take on more Middle and High School English. However with a colleague leaving, the management's plan is assign me to Primary School full time.

I do very much enjoy teaching the younger children and would be happy to do it for this year. However I know that if I agree, I'll be considered a primary school teacher for as longas I stay here.

My main concern is that with secondary training and recent primary experience , my CV will look too patchy to prospective employers when I decide to move on in a few years. I'm already a bit worried about having a bitty career history as I took three years out of school teaching to work in the Middle East.

If anyone has any stories or advice about switiching from secondary to primary or vice versa, or how it is likely to affect my future job opportunities, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

2. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I work with someone who did that.
    They are secondary trained, they taught primary somewhere and then came here as a secondary teacher again so it is possible to revert. I don't know how long they did primary for.

ecair likes this.
  3. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

I’d say it’s fantastic on your CV to have taught in multiple key stages, the more the better. If you decide you are better suited or just prefer teaching in certain key stages, make that clear in your personal statement and covering letters when you are job hunting.

ecair likes this.
  4. february31st

february31st Occasional commenter

Many international teachers cover multiple keystages for various reasons.

Makes you more employable to mant small to middle sized schools.

ecair likes this.