1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Portfolio

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MsSerenity, Sep 27, 2016.

1. MsSerenity

MsSerenity New commenter

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you for having this forum
    Now to my matter, I have taught before and due to relocation I need to reapply to another school.
    I'm qualified as a primary school teacher and would like some general advice on reapplying and any other
    helpful advice, in particular, regarding a teaching portfolio.

I had never foreseen leaving the school I had taught in and skipped documenting teaching sessions through videos and pictures. Reading more about teaching portfolios, I see it's quite relevant when going to an interview. The only time, I had documented through media visuals aids was in my teaching practice. So, what should I do to compensate for my lacking evidence of teaching skills, management and classroom structure, resources etc? Would, my unit and lesson plans be sufficient? What else can I include to maximize my teaching portfolio? (I don't even have copies of samples with kids work)!! On the plus, I do have some good recommendations from my last school.

Thank you for any helpful suggestions.

2. MsSerenity

MsSerenity New commenter

anyone/

3. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

I would definitely include lesson plans/ units of work as this will show your ability to be able to plan good/ outstanding lessons that engage children. If you have any feedback for observations/ learning walks etc. I would include though as well as again it shows your teaching ability. Any examples of progress data you have or could get would show the impact you have had in the classroom and recommendations will always help.
    Anything you have that will help show what kind of teacher you are is going to be of benefit to put in.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

There's a problem with Child Protection and Data protection on using pictures, photos, other media these days so I wouldn't worry too much.

Plans would be good and examples of any work you produced yourself, worksheets Powerpoints etc. to show your own creativity.

However I'm uncertain how many Primary Schools would expect a portfolio. Hopefully someone with experience of current recruitment policies will be along shortly to help.

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

In my experience a portfolio is a well-presented record of impressive or noteworthy things you have achieved in the school/s you've been in. Although Lara's point about photographs is a valid one for our times, I have never heard of issues being raised about portfolios containing photographs of, for example, the school choir which won the gold medal, the netball team which you coached and reached the regional finals, a scene from a play you directed, pupils working creatively on a cross-curricular day etc. I've seen a mixture of photos, newspaper articles/cuttings, photos of displays, letters, emails, cards and programmes used in portfolios.
    In an interview situation there is never much time for anyone to look through a portfolio - they are most likely to flip through it and gain an impression or read a couple of captions to your photographs. My experience would suggest that they're not very interested in lesson plans or resources, so I would only bother with a portfolio.
    Start keeping a record from now on and see if you can track anything down from the recent past to include as well.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

OK but a teaching portfolio is not usually asked for-can it usefully be used to add to the interview? It could be a bit like looking at other people's holiday snaps! The usual selection process focuses upon the quality of the application , interview performance and often an observed lesson. Put your efforts into these areas rather than into a historical record which may not be used.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.